SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Maximum Capacity

Maximum Capacity

Author
jprakasam
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Maximum Capacity
bilalhaider86
bilalhaider86
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

I think it should be acccording to OS.
OS should bring the limit on RAM as it is controller of all the resources of a System.

Simply
hehe:
Jan Van der Eecken
Jan Van der Eecken
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

From BOL:

SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition
[Processor Type] Pentium III-compatible processor or higher
[Processor Speed] Minimum: 600 MHz

Recommended: 1 GHz or higher

[Memory] Minimum: 512 MB

Recommended: 1 GB or more

Maximum: Operating system maximum

Now who is right? BOL? The author of the question? Both?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)
Bill Mell
Bill Mell
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)

According to BOL it is the Operating System Maximum
kevriley
kevriley
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

BOL is stating the requirements for install

Whereas the MS link is stating the features and limits

I would be more likely to believe the 3Gb limit

Kev
kevriley
kevriley
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

in fact if you check BOL at this page

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/95e5e902-66f9-4ef0-a7c6-61f42d81362e.htm

(put that into the address bar of BOL)

it states again that Workgroup Edn supports a max of 3Gb.

Kev
Jan Van der Eecken
Jan Van der Eecken
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

But if you look at

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/09bcf20b-0a40-4131-907f-61479d5e4d8.htm

in BOL it reads "Operating system maximum".

To me 3GB looks more like a limit imposed by Windows 32 bit architecture on an x86 machine. Has anyone tried installing SQL 2K5 Workgroup on a 64 bit machine with a 64 bit OS and attempted to push it past 3GB? The same BOL article mentioned above says it is supported on Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard/Enterprise/Datacentre (all SP1) and Vista x64 Business/Enterprise/Ultimate through WOW64. Unfortunately I neither have the time nor the resources to try it myself. Any volunteers?

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)
kevriley
kevriley
SSCarpal Tunnel

that url didn't work for me did you mean

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/09bcf20b-0a40-4131-907f-b61479d5e4d8.htm

that's the h/w reqs for installing and running SQL, NOT the supported features - a subtle difference, but a difference.

I don't know why they would state a MAX memory for installing, but I'll do some digging......
Jan Van der Eecken
Jan Van der Eecken
Hall of Fame

You are right about the URL Kev. Don't ask me how I managed to drop that "b" when copying and pasting.

And yes, you are right when you say that the page showing the HW/SW requirements for installing SQL 2K5. Indeed a subtle difference. The only reason I can think of that they state a maximum amount of RAM would be that there is a bug in the installer that causes it to crash when the machine has more than 3GB available to user processes Tongue

OCTom
OCTom
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Here's another link that shows the 3GB limit albeit from the perspective of SBS2003 R2 Premium Edition which includes SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/evaluation/faq/sql2005.mspx

Unsure
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.