SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

vtable

vtable

Author
karthik M
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
All,

I have faced a different problem recently.

When i executed a procedure from back end, it works fine.

But when i executed the same procedure from UI, it is not giving the proper result.

I also identified the problem.

The problem is

i have one condition in my procedure. The procedure will get value from the front end.

If ( @MID = Null and @sP = Null and @ACls = Null and @SId = Null and @SDetId = Null)

which I changed to this

If ( @MID is Null and @sP is Null and @ACls is Null and @SId is Null and @SDetId is Null)

then it works fine from UI.

I remember one rule about NULL. Two nulls are not equal.

I also have studied an article here about Difference between =NULL and IS NULL. In that article he mentioed about vtable ( to store table variables). As i want to know more about it,I have searched on websites, but i can't get any clear information.

It would be appreciated if anyone give more information on that.

karthik
PrabodhM
PrabodhM
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

See usage of SET ANSI_NULLS ON|OFF
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

Change the default setting will likely open a huge can of worms for you... lot's of other folks code depends on NULLs not being equal to anything and changing that setting will break ALL of that code.

So far as "vtables" go, are you talking about "Table Variables"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

Sorry... you are talking about "Table Variables"... best to look up about those in Books Online and take a look at the following article...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305977&Product=sql2k

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
karthik M
karthik M
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

Thanks Jeff and prabodh.

So far as "vtables" go, are you talking about "Table Variables"?

No.

I understood the difference between =NULL,ISNULL and SET ANSIL NULL ON/OFF after reading the below article.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Basic+Querying/understandingthedifferencebetweenisnull/871/

In this article, he has used vtable, just i wanted to know more about that.

karthik
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

Ah... got ya...

Nope... I don't know, at the machine language level, what the memory address of vtable in SQL Server is.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.