SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to unlock user account in SQL server 2005

Unable to unlock user account in SQL server 2005

Author
radhas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am unable to unlock user account in sql server 2005.
I searched in google and many forums suggest to use Alter login with password='Password' unlock in Management studio.

But the problem is I could not even login to the management studio express and the window was closed once the login failed.

Please help to resolve this.
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (10K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Are you logging on with the account that is locked or with a different account?

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
radhas
radhas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

I am logging in with the account that is locked.I dont have the admin username and password.
Is there any other way to unlock ?
Shane Miller
Shane Miller
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

I am having the same issue. I have a sql-authenticated id that is locked out due to numerous incorrect passwords. I go in as the system admin, change the password, and check that password must be changed at next login. However, once I hit ok with the Password Policy in place, I look at the user id, and the check is there for "Account is Locked" again. It's like I cannot unlock the id. Unsure
bonaovox
bonaovox
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Same as grasshopper. The solution was to delete and recreate the account. Stupid. Very stupid.Unsure
Shane Miller
Shane Miller
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

That's exactly what I wound up having to do. And, yes, you're right. That's stupid! Crazy
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

from memory the solution to this is something unexpected like untick the enforce password policy opton before unlocking the account on the status tab in login properties

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Charles
Greg Charles
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

After going through this pain ourselves we've found the most straightforward way to unlock an account is to run this TSQL as sysadmin:

ALTER LOGIN TestLogin WITH PASSWORD = 'Test^123' UNLOCK

This changes the password and unlocks the account. Unchecking the "Login is locked out" box in SSMS is useless.

As for the OP, he'll have to find another admin login to use so he can unlock the account. If the Dedicated Administrator Connection is configured, the OP could use that to connect to the instance and unlock the login. See "Dedicated Administrator Connection" in BOL.

Greg
bonaovox
bonaovox
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

I managed to unlock an account today using SSMS. I first unlocked the account (I had to uncheck the password policy verification). The account was unlocked but I kept receiving failed login messages. Then I decided to retype the password and it worked. It seems that SSMS resets the password when you unlock and account. So you have to unlock and retype the password in a way very similar to the ALTER LOGIN command.
aravind_0404
aravind_0404
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

connect as an sysadmin to the SSMS collapse the security folder in the login folder right click on your particular login which is locked select the properties option.you see a select page pane.in the select page pane select the status and you see the status pane in that at the bottom you find an option login is locked out.check this option and the login which is locked gets unlocked.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.