Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Query

Query

Author
Mohan  Kumar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Query

--www.sqlvillage.com
Marius Els
Marius Els
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)

Interesting point on filters and sub selects, but I thought the question was a bit misleading in terms of the possible answers provided:
- From a syntax point of view, I agree 'B' would the correct answer
- From a results/holistic view, 'C' would be the answer as the query (using the attached example) yields incorrect results as there is no filter on the join and only Customer 1 is on pricing plan 'X', but results say both customers are on pricing plan 'X'?
davidthegray
davidthegray
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)

For the sake of precision, I think the correct answer should have been formulated as

Query will succeed if the customerid and pricingplan columns are available in any table used in the first From Clause.
Ken Gaul
Ken Gaul
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Yup I'm with Marius, the results would not be what is intended and therefore the query is just plain wrong, which is different to a syntax error as offered in option 1. So in fact it should have been a select all that apply because indeed results are returned assuming suitable columns exist but they are the wrong results.

K.
Jason Miller-476791
Jason Miller-476791
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)

Syntactically correct, but it doesn't produce meaningful results. HeheI agree with the previous posts, it compiles and executes, but what is it trying to provide?

Honor Super Omnia-
Jason Miller
balamurugan.ganesan
balamurugan.ganesan
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

Please avoid posting these sort of misleading questions.

select CategoryID, Quantity, Price
from Customer c, SalesOrderDetail sod
where sod.clientid in (select customerid where pricingplan='X')

works even without customerid in any of the table but not the intended result.

If any table has customerid. eg: customer table has customerid then alias name should be there otherwise gives ambigous column

select CategoryID, Quantity, Price
from Customer c, SalesOrderDetail sod
where sod.clientid in (select c.customerid where pricingplan='X')
GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I think it's a valid question. Was clear enough to me anyway.

It brings up the caveat of: Compiles and Runs does NOT mean Correct

That's an important lesson for any developer to learn.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
webrunner
webrunner
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

I got the question wrong, which is OK, but I think choices such as "Query is wrong" sound too vague. Perhaps "Query throws an error" or the specific error or something like that. It's not a big difference, but I think it's a meaningful one.

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

I got it wrong as well, which, unfortunately, seems to be happening a lot lately. My only comment is that I would prefer that database context be given something like;

Given the tables Customer (customerid, pricingplan) and SalesOrderId(clientid, category) what is the result of the following query.

I assumed the context was AdventureWorks and the query is wrong in that context.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
ezlikesundaymorning
ezlikesundaymorning
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)

OK, just plain and simple, I am going to give my 2 cents worth here. This question is pure BS. I mean has anyone here ever seen a query written like this? In my house(place of business) the person who tried to get this through me, would be ridiculed beyond belief. I mean really, did I get the question wrong, yep. Did I also think that the question was misleading, yep. Do I know a developer that would try to get this past me, nope. Lets get some real questions in here. First off I do not even let anyone write in ANSI 89 SQL. Plain and simple it is my way or the highway.

DEX
BigGrin
The more you help the business, the more they will help you...well sometimes anyway.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.