Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot login to SQL Server with the SQL authentication

Cannot login to SQL Server with the SQL authentication

Author
Vikka
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've been setting users for SQL servers for a year and this is the first time happened to me.

I am trying to set a new login/password/user with SQL server authentication on a new server.

I set up a fresh test database, new login and user for that database. I don't get any error, just confirmation that user was created OK.

After I disconnect and try to connect again to the SQL Server with the SQL server authentication using this user/password, I get an error that user is not associated with the trusted SQL server connection. User name and password are correct.

I do the same thing on an old server and everything works fine.

I checked Surface Area configuration, remote connections are set to allow local and remote connections.

What can be the reason that SQL server users do not work?
thasteve
thasteve
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)

are you using local accounts or ad logins?
Vikka
Vikka
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (159 reputation)

I am SMART!

I found that SQL server should be set to the mixed authentication mode.
Right click on server name, properties, security, set to mixed authentication mode, no only windows.
thasteve
thasteve
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)

not talking about that i was wondering if your windows authentication is just local to some user accounts on your database machine or remote to some ad controller
mobasha
mobasha
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)Right there with Babe (714 reputation)

can u connect to the server using any other windows login,
means u r having this problem with any windows login or just this specifice one.

..>>..

MobashA
malkit.rooprai
malkit.rooprai
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I have got the same problem as well

When I connect using the username/password in SQLServer Management Studio it works fine

When I use the same username/password in an app to connect to the server I get the error message

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection ("server=localhost; uid=test; pwd=test; database=test");
connection.Open();

I have the server configured for mixed mode authentication

Any help would be appreciated.
Dev
Dev
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Please don’t hijack the thread. Start a new thread for your problem. We will try to provide a solution.

Dev

*** Open Network for Database Professionals ***
http://www.linkedin.com/in/devendrashirbad

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.