SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Undocumented Extended and Stored Procedures

Undocumented Extended and Stored Procedures

Author
timothyawiseman
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Undocumented Extended and Stored Procedures

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
rnjohnson10
rnjohnson10
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

timothyawiseman (5/8/2008)
Comments posted to this topic are about the item
...edited from article...
Both sp_who and sp_who2 with its added columns can be tremendously valuable in scripts and programs, but for use on an ad hoc basis it is often more convenient to invoke the Activity Monitor GUI.
...edited from article...

Are you kidding me? If something is hanging up the server, the GUI will take minutes or longer to show you what's happening. Using sp_who2 is generally pretty fast even if the server is getting creamed by something.

I have a custom sp_who3 script which simply modifies the sp_who2 script to only show active processes. That way you can quickly see the active processes when something is slowing the server.

I find the GUI to be worthless.
afryer
afryer
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

I would use Powershell for the first one and maybe write my own SP for the second. It takes me back to my unix days when wee had a whole list of shell scripts that we laid over the OS.
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

rnjohnson10 (5/8/2008)
Are you kidding me? If something is hanging up the server, the GUI will take minutes or longer to show you what's happening. Using sp_who2 is generally pretty fast even if the server is getting creamed by something.

You have a good point. Sp_who and sp_who2 will always be faster than the gui and that is particularly true if something is causing a general slow down.

With that said, I personally find the gui is often more convenient and more user friendly when looking for a specific block rather than a general slowdown. At least for me, both the procedures and the gui have their place depending on the situation.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Anatol Romanov-404520
Anatol Romanov-404520
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)

All extended stored procedures mentioned in the article are well known to most of the people working with SQL Server for some years. They have been discussed many times in SQL server books and on popular SQL Server websites. Google search on "undocumented sql server stored procedures" returned 89,000 web pages. xp_FileExists for example is discussed at sqlservercentral, developersdex, databasejournal, sqlteam, dbforums, etc. The article lacks novelty but may be useful for some community members. That's why I rated it as 3-star.
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Nice work! Pretty comprehensive list, I've used most of these xp's in the past.
David Bird
David Bird
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)

Nice list of stored procedures. You pointed out a few I was unaware of.

Thanks for sharing the info

David Bird
Steve Eckhart
Steve Eckhart
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Several of the examples were unreadable, displaying only a horizontal scroll bar. What might have been the example code was in a window which appeared to be 1 or 2 pixels tall.

Steve Eckhart
Mark Yelton
Mark Yelton
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)

Here's a caveat you can add to running sp_who2 to get just the running processes.

exec sp_who2 active
mmendoza
mmendoza
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)

Steve Eckhart (5/9/2008)
Several of the examples were unreadable, displaying only a horizontal scroll bar. What might have been the example code was in a window which appeared to be 1 or 2 pixels tall.

I was able to work around this glitch by printing the article to PDF. The code listings are printed inline with the article.

I agree with Steve that this UI bug should be fixed.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.