Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL 2005 vs. SQL 2008 Part 1 - (Backup File Sizes & Times)

SQL 2005 vs. SQL 2008 Part 1 - (Backup File Sizes & Times)

Author
ABHILASH DHONGDI
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (152 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Kevin,

Nice work man... going by the screenshots it seems like you had this running on UniProcessor Environment and with 1 GB RAM.

couple of questions - Any chance you have metrics on a better server? and secondly, was there anything else running on this box when you took either of the backups?

I am concerned about the spike in CPU load during the compressed backups. Seems to put quite a lot of load the box. Wondering if there are any settings to limit the compression algorithm to minimal/medium/full... etc..
Kevin-458339
Kevin-458339
Old Hand
Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)

Hi

The environment was a Virtual PC - running XP SP2 with 1GB RAM.

There was no other applications running on this machine at the time of the backup.

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin-458339
Kevin-458339
Old Hand
Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)

I do not have any info on a better spec'd server - but may in the near future.

I have not investigated the possibility of adjusting the compression percentage, but this would be an interesting idea.

The only things that you may save in a less compression setting is speed and CPU, but this may be required if you consider the limitations on disk speeds and CPU utilization etc

Thanks
Kevi
Nik Southworth
Nik Southworth
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

My Test Results.

SQL 2008 w/ Compression

Size: 3.39GB
Time: 12 Mins
CPU%: AVG 40%

SQL 2008 wo/ Compression

Size: 14.0GB
Time: 21 Mins
CPU%: AVG 30%

Restore details to follow.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Nik Southworth (5/6/2008)
My Test Results.

SQL 2008 w/ Compression

Size: 3.39GB
Time: 12 Mins
CPU%: AVG 40%

SQL 2008 wo/ Compression

Size: 14.0GB
Time: 21 Mins
CPU%: AVG 30%

Restore details to follow.

Good findings. In terms of speed and size the difference is almost more than 50%. The more big the database the more difference will come I believe. But one thing what will be the compression rate of image field?

Michael Whiteley
Michael Whiteley
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

Be interesting to see how this compression compares to software products that already do compression, is the sql 2008 better, worse or the same ?
Rick Sheeley
Rick Sheeley
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Having worked with the Redgate folks for over three years now, I would say they are more interested in advancing technology and making good products for their customers, reahter than being worried about the platform.

They have been hands down, one of the 5 best vendors I have ever worked with. But one would expect no less from a bunch of Guiness swilling British engineering types!! BigGrin
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)SSC Eights! (800 reputation)

Excellent article and and a very nice analysis of a new feature in 2008. Of course, the feature is much less impressive to people like me already using something like SQL Backup 5 which has excellent compression, but its nice to have the option available.

I would also like to join the call for similar metrics and analysis of restore. It would also be interesting to see a comparison between this and what SQL Backup 5 does in terms of speed and compression ratios.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
cameron.gibbs
cameron.gibbs
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Of course SQL backup compression is great....but my understanding is that it is only available with SQL Enterprise edition - which costs a helluva lot more than Standard.

Why oh why Microsoft woudl you make something like backup compression an Enterprise only feature....I can understand the BI and analysis stuff being pared down...but not THIS
Michael Whiteley
Michael Whiteley
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

backup compression is available in all editions.
Data compression of the online database is an enterprise only feature, which is different from backup compression.
That is what I was told at a microsoft seminar.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.