SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Average Salary

Average Salary

Author
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada (90 minute south of Montréal).

It was more a contract than a job... but I'm sure I can find more of those if I need to... but I don't :-P.
SQL_ABD
SQL_ABD
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Hi,
Thanks For all of you.
Ninja's_RGR'us, Is 80000$C is good salary for a permanent job.

Regards,
Ahmed
rlondon
rlondon
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)SSC Eights! (811 reputation)

I don't live in Canada, but I think my answer would be the same anywhere you live. It depends on the job. If it is a contracting job you would probably make more money since they would not pay for benefits (what ever they may be in Canada compared to US). If it is a full time position in a company, you would have to weigh the benefits offered with the salary. That can include time off, bonuses, educational reimbursement, overtime pay.... So if the job seems like a good fit and the salary is good for you, take it. If it is not what you expect, chalk it up to more experience and move on. Good Luck.
Adonia Delavigne-521648
Adonia Delavigne-521648
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)SSChasing Mays (639 reputation)

The rule of thumb I follow seems to be the hourly rate you where getting ie $75 should have three zeros added to the end for an appropriate annual perminant fulltime salary $75, 000. This is for Australian IT
Loner
Loner
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

I think the location of the job is important, every place has its own cost of living. The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary, but does the salary cover the high cost of living?

I go to salary.com to calculate the cost of living in Denver, CO, the cost of living is 10% higher than where I live but the salary is of a DBA s 3% higher than where I live. So if I get a job in Denver, I will get paid more but it does not cover the high cost of living, I end up losing money.

I know some people will accept a lower salary job because of the company benefit. But after all these years working at so many companies, the 'good' benefit can change any time. One company used to pay 90% of the medical insurance but since the medical insurance getting so high, now the company can only pay 50%. One company used to have a very good retirement plan plus 401K, since the economy goes downwards, the company does not make so much money anymore, they stop the retirement plan and only support the 401K.

I will look at the benefits but they are not the main factors for me to accept the job.

just my 2 cents
DDetto
DDetto
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

@Loner

Ha, ha! Upstate NY! Sadly we are moving out of here next month. We love the people and the place, but not the jobs or the economy.

I grew up here and have noticed... 1. Cost of living is too high when compared to salaries. 2. Cost of living is too high when compared to a lot of other states. 3. In general the population is overeducated for the jobs they perform thus pushing salaries down.

It makes me sad because I would really like to raise my daughter here since it is a very nice place.

Just my 2c from having lived here 22 out of the 32 years of my life.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

Please note: 2 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/30/2008)
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada (90 minute south of Montréal).

It was more a contract than a job... but I'm sure I can find more of those if I need to... but I don't :-P.

I had missed that post a in 2008, but I'll answer anyway.

I was just on the phone with a recruiter and he tells me that 70K - 90K / year is pretty much what he sees. That does not include the benefits.

Of course downtown has to pay more than northshore or southshore because of the extra 40 - 80 hours / month to get to work!.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated

GilaMonster (10/22/2010)
Please note: 2 year old thread.

So you're working for free since then? w00t
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.