Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Best Editor To use

Best Editor To use

Author
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
If you want to go freeware/shareware, you might consider taking a look at Crimson Editor. It has a customizable markup language (so it knows what to highlight, keywords, etc...). It has a LOT of built-in languages it can understand, among which T-SQL and PowerShell (although PowerShell is a "custom" template you need to add as I recall).

It's not intellisense, but not bad for a basic markup, type and validate basic syntax kind of app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
lrosales
lrosales
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

SQLProgrammer is also very good to use, specially when you know not or forget the syntax of commands or store procedures.

"We never plan to Fail, We just fail to plan"Smile
Marcin Wilczek
Marcin Wilczek
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Thanks for all the responeseses guys.

For now I am going to give Management studio another go, do you guys have any sites with some guides on all the different configurations for it so that i can play and customize it to my needs?
Piotr.Rodak
Piotr.Rodak
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)SSC Eights! (802 reputation)

I use PSPad as replacement of notepad. It is better than Notepad++ in my opinion. Works very well and supports incremental search, the feature I use a lot.

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath
Mauve
Mauve
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Notepad is equivalent to a "rock and a chisel". Almost as bad as Vi on UNIX.

Give KEDIT (http://www.kedit.com/) a try. It's a general purpose text editor for all sorts of file types that I've been using for years. Supports macros, column editing (one of my favorite features), is fast, can handle large files, low memory footprint, etc. etc. While it doesn't have IntelliSense, it can be configured to understand the nuances of each language (color coding, comments, matching parens, braces, etc.).

Best feature of all: It runs under a portable license. So buy your own copy and use it at work.

Evaluation copies are available at their web site.

(PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.