SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The New SQL OS

The New SQL OS

Author
madpiper56
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ivan Weaver (4/1/2008)
I was starting to drool until I got part way through. But, it was most believable because MS has tried the SQL Server Volume where you could have a whole disk volume dedicated to SQL Server. I don't know that it is used much, but an interesting idea non-the-less. Still, an OS based on a Data engine, didn't some one try that before, and where are they now? (painlfully remembers Novell NetWare 5)

That would've been PICK. I still have interesting memories on using PICK back in the 80's (some good, most painful)

Martin Selway-434765
Martin Selway-434765
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

The idea of removing the Windows dependency is appealing.
Jonathon Storm-412622
Jonathon Storm-412622
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

If only! That would be great...
Anders Pedersen
Anders Pedersen
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Good one!

But...

Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. Hence why we had to create a device/partition (ok it has been 11 years since I worked on either, so particulars are a bit rusty) that we then created the database on.
Charles Kincaid
Charles Kincaid
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Anders Pedersen (4/1/2008)
Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. ...

Yep. Same for 7 IIRC. 2000 objects if it's data or log files are compressed via NTFS. I think that this might still be true for 2005.

Ah well. So much for the Dyson Principle: "I just think that things should work properly."

ATBCharles Kincaid
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Charles Kincaid (4/1/2008)
Anders Pedersen (4/1/2008)
Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. ...

Yep. Same for 7 IIRC. 2000 objects if it's data or log files are compressed via NTFS. I think that this might still be true for 2005.

Ah well. So much for the Dyson Principle: "I just think that things should work properly."

I'm actually not sure they've ever stopped thinking on this. The original concept of Longhorn's File system was essentially supposed to be a SQL Server database of sorts. In other words - the DB IS the file system. I don't think that survived, but it's a very compelling thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
YSLGuru
YSLGuru
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Nick Brenner (4/1/2008)
Not laughing. Not laughing at all. Good thing I read it all the way through before forwarding it on to my boss. He would not be amused either.

How can you not be willing to laugh at all and still work in a Windows environment? Just Chill, same goes for the Boss.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
richardbeasimer@gmail.com
richardbeasimer@gmail.com
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)

Dang. I was so into this article... good one.
Ivan Weaver
Ivan Weaver
Valued Member
Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)

Charles Kincaid (4/1/2008)

It would depend on whose version of 'properly' is in use at the time. Wink MS thinks the OSs work properly, it's just the hardware. Wink It's up to us testers, err, users, to let them know about issues.

"How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on." BigGrin
Timothy Ford-473880
Timothy Ford-473880
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Funny, us DBAs here in Kalamazoo have not heard anything about this until now. We are the new Redmond, y'know!

- Tim Ford, SQL Server MVP
http://www.sqlcruise.com
http://www.thesqlagentman.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyford
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.