SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

Author
Scott Abrants
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thank you for your comments...
Now as I stated in the article I will be writing a follow-up to this one in the very near future showing one or two of the snippets, written in Vb.Net, getting put to some interesting use for a custom app.

Also as far as the comment about why I suggested a virtual server for the initial install my reasoning is this. Have you downloaded the 2008 SQL Server CTP to your work or personal machine - not a server of course - only to find that when it comes time to remove the trial or CTP software your needed installs (SQL Server 2005) fails to work? I simply use Microsoft’s virtual client and create a virtual space for tools like SCOM, CTP versions of software and the like then I never have to worry about uninstalling them or worse yet the annoying messages when the trial version is about to run out. And everything is contained in isolation without worry.
oconnor_dp
oconnor_dp
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

Thanks for the expansion. I myself have a zipped up Virtual PC with Windows 2003 / SQL Server 2005 base build which I generally unzip fresh and use for this sort of thing. I queried it as I was wondering if there was a specific problem you had encountered, or a bug.

Look forward to the follow-up articles! If I manage to recode anything I'll post back Wink
Marios Philippopoulos
Marios Philippopoulos
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Great link.
I would have preferred more info in it as well, but, all in all, I'm glad I got notified on it.

One question: where can I find the discovery.xml files mentioned? I'm looking in the
System Center Management Packs folder. Is that the location?

__________________________________________________________________________________
SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables
Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Bill Stevenson
Bill Stevenson
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

I have search my whole server for the xml files and can not find them. After downloading the management packs I have several .mp files but no xml files. A little more info on where the xml files are located would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marios Philippopoulos
Marios Philippopoulos
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

I have the exact same issue - some more info on the file location would be appreciated

__________________________________________________________________________________
SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables
Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
julius.tancinco
julius.tancinco
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

you need to export that management pack into an xml format. this link should provide insight

Unseal MP to XML
Scott Abrants
Scott Abrants
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)SSC-Addicted (479 reputation)

Julius,
My fellow co-worker; thank you for that!
dsingh-531594
dsingh-531594
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Which folder has MP definition files such as "Microsoft.SQLServer.2005.Discovery.xml"? Thanks.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)

See the post above by Julius. That shows how to unpack the XML files.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
r.h.ocarroll
r.h.ocarroll
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Hi Scott,

Interesting article especially if you are a newbie to SCOM 2k7 and have limited exposure SQL 2005 R2. Have you a desire to share in greater detail some of possibilities in scripts you have created from SQL and SCOM 2k7? Its a pleasure to read your enthusiasm.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.