SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

Author
Scott Abrants
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (547 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

First of all thank the author for the information sharing. This cannot be an article. This comes under knowledge/information sharing. I would request Steve to open a new category called 'Information Sharing', where we can share our tips, new tools available.

I also want comment on this from my forum partner.

Smile

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)SSC Guru (163K reputation)

Nice job Scott. I'm looking forward to seeing the code coming out of this effort.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Nice work! do you have a link to download the toolbox?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)SSC Guru (381K reputation)

Nice short to-the-point article on some very useful information... thanks!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
SQLRockstar
SQLRockstar
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

That's a good idea, and one I had not thought about previously except when I needed to dive into my own custom management pack. I'm not sure what you have to gain by stripping something out of a default SCOM management pack, unless your company was not using SCOM.

I am always trying to put extra code on top of the defaults, so now I will remember to look inside some of the default packs to see how they are getting the job done. One thing I have been struggling with recently is setting up a way to customize the discovery of a service (i.e. Sybase) in a similar fashion to how MSSQL is discovered. This would make the custom groups and rules I create much easier to administer.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, and I look forward to reading more.

----------------------
https://thomaslarock.com
oconnor_dp
oconnor_dp
Valued Member
Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)

Little actual content in this article. How about some links? Or some examples of the code you've customised, in VB.net or C#?

It does sound interesting, but why exactly do you recommend a virtual server? Have you had some problems, or is this just a safety precaution? Obviously people don't deply trial software to their 10TB production estates.
Paul Ellsworth
Paul Ellsworth
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Although it's early (just saw the article earlier this morning), it's already yielding results, because -- while I "speak VB", we exclusively use C#. And as I am researching, I'm seeing some great candidates for conversion that can then be incorporated into all sorts of useful things like CLR packages, ReportingServices reports, etc.

Thanks for the heads up!!
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Mark Horninger (3/24/2008)
Nice work! do you have a link to download the toolbox?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738014.aspx

It will ask you to register with microsoft. Its a huge file of 280 MB. I will download it from home.

SQL DBA.
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)

I love having new tools to help me and my clients do our jobs more efficiently, but unfortunately I don't have time to install a big software package and play around with extracting/converting code. If anyone does take the time to do this I would very much appreciate a public dissemination of the efforts!!

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.