SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ETL for Free-Form Data

ETL for Free-Form Data

Author
Michael DeYoung
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item ETL for Free-Form Data
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

I am not impressed with the article. I am not clear what the author wants to say bythese lines in step 1:

' The only thing that should change is the data field value itself. For example, I created this procedure to get GPS data from web-based truck fleet reports into a Data Warehouse staging table. '

I may not be clear but someone can explain me on this.

Regards

Anirban

webooth
webooth
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

I don’t like to use third party components if I don’t have to. I think a simpler solution would be to do a page scrape and then parse it with regular expressions. No need for XML or components.

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)

When I started reading this, even the introduction sounded like a sales pitch. This isn't an article, it's an advertisment. I suppose it will be useful to some that can't figure out how to do this with the native components of SQL Server.

I also agree about the 3rd party component thing that was previously mentioned... I avoid them.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Mike C
Mike C
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

This could just as easily (perhaps more easily) be done by pumping the raw XML into a staging table column and using the native SQL Server XML data type's .nodes() and .value() methods.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)SSC Guru (118K reputation)

See? That's what I mean... don't need 3rd party products for this type of stuff.

Thanks for the info, Mike...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
noeld
noeld
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Parsing is, in my opinion, client-side responsibility. Doing these kind of things is SQL Server is not impossible neither difficult but I tend to pass that to specialized languages that are better equiped for the job.

Just my $0.02

* Noel
Mike C
Mike C
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

noeld (3/20/2008)
Parsing is, in my opinion, client-side responsibility. Doing these kind of things is SQL Server is not impossible neither difficult but I tend to pass that to specialized languages that are better equiped for the job.

Just my $0.02

System.Xml namespace includes several objects with methods for this type of XML parsing and manipulation as well if you wanted to do it on the client-side.
Harit Gohel
Harit Gohel
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

When I suggested one of the site in some post on SSC. I got an email that
"We don't link/promote any sites on SSC." So I feel sorry that I did something wrong. But now SSC is forcing to read the PURE advertisement for Third party tool. I don't understand what was the purpose of this article?
shpida
shpida
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

I'm very new to SQL. I am trying to get a better understanding of data mining in free form text, as I understand it using regular expressions. could you point me in the direction of some information regarding searching through free form text (articles, conversations, etc) to pull out information such as tone of the article (negative, positive, angry, sad, etc) and basic subject matter?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.