SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server 2005 Job email notification alerts

SQL Server 2005 Job email notification alerts

Author
mccarthy.bob
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to receive notification of failure AND success rather than one or the other??

Thanks
Bob
Todd Engen
Todd Engen
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Bob,

Choose "When the job completes" if you want a notification regardless of whether it succeeds or fails.
mccarthy.bob
mccarthy.bob
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

God I really should have noticed that myself! Thanks a mil Smile
rinu philip
rinu philip
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)

takutoyamada (4/25/2008)
A clarification question. Upon a failed job, I want to send an email to 2 different email addresses. So, I created 2 operators and checked them to receive emails in the Response of the alert properties.

However, in the Notifications in the Job properties, it only enables you to select one operator to send an email upon the completion of the job. So, I'm confused about how alerts and notifications work.

It seems that the alerts have all the information it needs to send out the emails, but then if you don't turn on the Notifications, the email is not sent. I tested this by disabling the email in the job under notifications, and left the alert configured to send emails to 2 operators. Upon running the job from this step, and getting a failure, there was no email sent. Am I missing something on how alerts work?

I understand, you could send email to two or more people by :

@recipients=N'rinup@xyz.com';zbc@aby.com,---> delimit semi colan

Smile
rinu philip
rinu philip
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)

@recipients=N'rinup@xyz.com';'zbc@aby.com',---> delimit semi colan
forgot the quotesWink
takutoyamada
takutoyamada
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

I believe what you are referring to is the Database mail- I know it allows multiple recipients, but what I'm having trouble with is the notifications for the failed jobs.
todd_dawson
todd_dawson
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work on a Lotus Notes Server?

It seems to only want to accept standard email addresses: somebody@somebody.com

Any suggestions?
rinu philip
rinu philip
SSC Eights!

todd_dawson (7/24/2008)
Has anyone had any luck getting this to work on a Lotus Notes Server?

It seems to only want to accept standard email addresses: somebody@somebody.com

Any suggestions?

Not sure about lotus notes, but it worked perfect with microsoft outlook!!
ganta_sateesh-802724
ganta_sateesh-802724
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

very useful post thanks a lot. if i keep the option as "when job completes". will it sends if the job success or fails. because there i didn't find multiple options for both job fails and job succeeds.my requirement is i have to send a mail to know is the job succeeded or failed.
Todd Engen
Todd Engen
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

ganta_sateesh (8/7/2008)
very useful post thanks a lot. if i keep the option as "when job completes". will it sends if the job success or fails...

Yes. Always a good idea to test for the expected results though. I'd suggest you do something to make the job fail and succeed to insure you're getting what you want for both conditions.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.