SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Daily Routine

The Daily Routine

Author
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Steve Jones - Editor (3/10/2008)
My one dog doesn't like peanut butter. First dog I've seen like that. American cheese folder around the pill works well.

giving a horse aspirin is a pasty material. We've tried some stuff, including apples, and they'll skip it because of the bitter taste. Some times you need to just shove it in there Smile

Mine's Ninja dog. Pretty much anything you wrap or hide the pill in - she will lick the pill clean and spit it at you... (wagging her tail and telling you she didn't fall for it). She opens doors too! So - the only way to make it work is the "frontal assault": pry jaw open, put pill in the back of the throat, close, and rub throat until she swallows.

By the way Steve - you haven't mentioned the name of that SQL MVP standing next to you in the picture today?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)

I had a dog like Matt's... the only way to get her to take meds was with a small enough piece of steak for her to swallow in one gulp... had to be real careful putting the pill into a cut in the steak. If you accidently touched the pill to the outside of the steak, she'd spit the whole thing out. Peanut butter didn't work... did like Matt's except she'd spit it out with enough PB on it that she never did get to taste it.

The absolute best thing I found was a small ball of bacon grease... just set it on top of the dry food in a bowl...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
kestak-508197
kestak-508197
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)

Greetings,

I am quite surprised by your dogs guys. We used that trick with litterally hundred if not thousand of dogs when I was working at the shelter (I moved and I am not longer volountering there). A lot of time it was hard to make the dog accept the threat, but once it is in the mouth, it is like it is in the stomach.

One funny story: My great dane hate so much the vet that when she was giving her a cookie, she was litterally spitting it in her face. She was aiming her face, spit and then she was looking at me with what I would almost say a smile.

BTW Mr Jones, I admire the work you did with that website. This site saved my butt a couple of times.

Thank you

MBA

MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCITP, IBM DB2 Expert, I-Net+, CIW

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)SSC Guru (217K reputation)

So, tell us what the trick is...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Thanks for the complement and glad you like the site. It's as much Jeff, Matt, and others as me here making things work.

My co-host in the middle was Khali. She's our 3rd Dane and she doesn't do the pills well either. She's learned how to extract the pill from peanut butter and cheese quite often, so she gets the throat jamming technique for some medicines.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
kestak-508197
kestak-508197
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)

Greetings,

Just dip the pill into peanut butter or strawberry jam (It is harder to make the jam stick on the pill than peanut butter) and give it to the dog. If it does not work because the dog refuses it or spit it out after sucking the peanut butter, begin with treat cookies with a little bit of peanut butter on it. The dog will be so used to get the treat awith the peanut butter that next time he will get the medication, he will swallow it.

However, I can say I almost never had to do that last part. Most of dogs (Exccept Steve Jones one...hehehehe) love peanut butter and they will get right through the pill. Sometimes, the dog can drop the pill on the ground, just pick it up and give it to him right away.

Dogs are creature of habbits, constance and strick structure. They are like us DBAs: They strive when there is a definite framework. If the habbit is not there, create it. Use another abbit to bring a new one (He loves cookies, bring him to love piils with a common denominator:peanut butter).

My dogs come everywhere with us. They are afraid of almost nothing. I even got them used to firearms shots by using a nailgun when I do woodworking as much as I can in their presence. If we have a home invasion, I think the dogs know better than us what to do (And it is not to run toward the intruder because we don't want our dogs between us and the intruder - Here I think only American will understand what I mean).

At the shelter, a lot of volounteers could not shove into the dogs throat the pills (Sorry, I have no idea about cats because I am so allergic to them that I am never going closer than 20 feet of a cat.) and that trick was there when I arrived. I have no idea who worked on it first, but they all use it.

Thank you

MBA

MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCITP, IBM DB2 Expert, I-Net+, CIW

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.
MG-148046
MG-148046
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Steve -

I'm sure you are giving a "bute" paste (or horse aspirin). Ask your vet for the flavored powder. I find that apple flavored bute powder works well. We sprinkle it on the grain and shake to coat most of the grain.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)SSC Guru (148K reputation)

Group: Administrators
never heard of that. For whatever reason my wife has the tubes, but I'll mention the powder. That sounds more fun than putting on a halter and sticking my fingers in their mouths!

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
MG-148046
MG-148046
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

A whole lot more "fun". Especially since they can't spit it out all over you (yuck!)BigGrin

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.
jay-h
jay-h
Hall of Fame

I had to force feed a good sized snake once. The trick is pushing a rubber tube down into his gullet. A new use for KY jelly.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.