SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Snapshots - Part 1

Snapshots - Part 1

Author
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Snapshots - Part 1

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Daryn House
Daryn House
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the article, very informative.

Just a question. I need to create a SnapShot on Publisher, copy via mem stick to Subscriber. How can i apply snapshot? I cant use the distributoin agent as the link between servers is over a WAN and is slow...

thanks in anticipation
Daryn
Jean-Charles Sailland
Jean-Charles Sailland
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your article, it's well explained.
Is there a chance that you will do a part dedicated to "merge" replication between DB and Handhelds?
Cheers,
Jean-Charles
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Daryn, in SQL 2005 there is a feature called init from backup that will help you do it - see another article I wrote for more details http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Replication/61767/. If you're using SQL 2000 it's harder, but doable. Easy way is to lock everyone out of the publisher db while you get the copy to the subscriber, then start the process. You can also just set up replication to say the data already exists, let the log reader run, but keep the distribution agent stopped. That will pile up commands in the distribution database until you've completed your set up on the subscriber side. Experiment locally to prove the concept before you venture into the WAN scenario just to make practicing cheaper.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion

Jean-Charles,

Perhaps! I don't do a lot of work with merge or hand helds, but it shouldn't (one hopes) but that much different. If I get a chance I will dig in to see.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Peter Speltz
Peter Speltz
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Thank you Andy. Nice article. Short and sweet. Looking forward to the rest of them.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.