SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SPOOLING

SPOOLING

Author
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I was wondering if any one could help me out. I'm trying to spool the results from a tsql script to a text file. I'm haveing trouble finding a way to do this. Please if you know how to do this please help me.

rich

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You can redirect the output using osql and the ">" operator. There is also an option in QA to save to a file.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
kirmssr
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

i'm trying to run this simple test script using the osql utility
exec master..xp_cmdshell 'osql -Q"select * from %syslogins..master%" -oH:\testfile\stats.txt'

and i'm getting this error message
cannot open output file
no such file or directory.

- I have created the file and I still get the same error.

any ideas?

thanks rich

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
kirmssr
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic

I'm sorry i gave the query it is suppost to be select * from master..sysobjects.

i'm still getting the same error however.

rich

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Confirmed that you have permissions to the folder?

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
kirmssr
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic

yeah i have all the permissions to the file. and I still get the error message

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
kirmssr
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic

ok i've checked the permissions on the file that i'm trying to write to, and I'm still coming up with the same error. Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

thanks rich

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
Klaas-Jan
Klaas-Jan
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)

hi, is de H; drive mapped with the sql server account?

kirmssr
kirmssr
SSC-Enthusiastic

ok i've figured out the problem I wasn't specifiying the full server name. Thank you for your help. I have one more question however. I was noticing that when you pipe the output of the query to a file the last statement is the the only one to get piped to the output. I was wondering if there is a way to append other output to the file that you are piping to.

Thank you once again,
Rich

RICHARD KIRMSS

RICHARD KIRMSS
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)

Group: Administrators
osql .... > filename
is a new file.

osql ... >> filename
appends to the file. See my series on version control, part 3 for more info.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.