SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Data Modelers - Alternatives to Erwin

Data Modelers - Alternatives to Erwin

Author
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have been asked to find data modeling tools to serve as an alternative to Computer Associate's Erwin. I downloaded Toad version 3 to test it, but it doesn't allow me to import .er1 model diagrams.

Does anyone know of decent alternatives to Erwin which will allow me to import our current Erwin diagrams without having to rebuild them from scratch?

I want a tool that will do all the same sorts of things Erwin does. Reverse Engineering, Complete Compare, list datatypes in tables, as well as relationships, etc. Including being able to color-code tables (background and outline colors).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Visio will work, but it's a little flaky and that' s not it's intended purpose.

Embarkadero has ER/Studio, which I liked better than Erwin.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Put me down for Embarcadero ERStudio too. Great tool.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I just downloaded a trial version of this and it won't open any of my current Erwin diagrams. Bleargh. It seems nothing I can find will allow me to simply convert over my current diagrams.

Any other suggestions?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Really? Hmm. That actually used to be a specialty of theirs because they were bringing so many people over from ERWin. I haven't upgraded an ERWin model myself since 2002. Sorry.

What about exporting to XML or something & importing that way?

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion

Actually, my problem may be resolved. I thought we weren't going to be able to get the latest version of Erwin, but now I'm hearing differently.

Here's hoping! @=)

KenpoDBA
KenpoDBA
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Y, ERStudio is the bomb. I used to convert ERWin diagrams with it all the time. I don't imagine that they would have lost that functionality. Almost everything in ERStudio is easier than ERWin too.

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.com
Blog Author of:
DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion

What version are you guys using that ER/Studio converts Erwin? And what type of files have you saved in Erwin that makes the conversion so easy?

When I tried to convert an .er1 diagram, it didn't work for me at all.

antonio.collins
antonio.collins
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)

also take a look at sybase powerdesigner.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

We are currently running ERStudio version 7.1.2 Build 4769, and it supports converting ERWin ERX files from version 2.6 through 3.52. There is a newer version of ERStudio out, but we haven't done the upgrade as of yet.
Cool

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.