SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

UDF to create a counter

UDF to create a counter

Author
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
And - there's NO guarantee that it won't return the same number twice... The larger the set of numbers, the more likely it WILL duplicate the number.

Try this instead:

select top 1000 checksum(newID()),* from myTable

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
downes
downes
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)

That works also.
I'll use your since!

Thanks!!
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)SSC Guru (57K reputation)

checksum doesn't guarantee unique results. It'll probably be unique, but it's not guaranteed. More likely to be unique than Rand() is, though.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
downes
downes
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)

After running several test the top 1000... will not work with the query.
The user name and date is being queried, member quired is not one of the 1000 returned therefore, no items selected.

When I run it with the udf random it works.
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

GSquared (1/25/2008)
checksum doesn't guarantee unique results. It'll probably be unique, but it's not guaranteed. More likely to be unique than Rand() is, though.

Per BOL:

CHECKSUM satisfies the properties of a hash function: CHECKSUM applied over any two lists of expressions returns the same value if the corresponding elements of the two lists have the same type and are equal when compared using the equals (=) operator. For the purpose of this definition, NULL values of a given type are considered to compare as equal. If one of the values in the expression list changes, the checksum of the list also usually changes. However, there is a small chance that the checksum will not change.

From the way I read that it, running a checksum against unique values will return unique values. That's what a hash function does, after all: it returns a unique value that can be used to determine equality. If the hash codes are equal, then so are the values. NEWID() does in fact guarantee uniqueness, so I'm relying on that.

From testing, I've generated sets of 6 million unique numbers using that and have yet to run into a conflict.

Am I misreading that somehow? I am making some assumptions, but I thought they were pretty solid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip

Debra Owens (1/25/2008)
After running several test the top 1000... will not work with the query.
The user name and date is being queried, member quired is not one of the 1000 returned therefore, no items selected.

When I run it with the udf random it works.

Debra - the "top 1000" was there for my purposes (the test table was rather large). I just wanted to highlight the Checksum(NewID()) method....

You absolutely don't need the TOP n syntax if your case doesn't lend itself to it.

downes
downes
SSC-Enthusiastic

I removed the top 1000 and it worked.
I added abs to insure a positive number.

abs(checksum(newID()))

Wink
renrob
renrob
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)

This is about 3 years too late, but it worked for me:

SELECT [Field1]
, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY [Field1]) AS 'Row Number'
FROM [dbo].[MyTable]

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.