SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Keynotes

Keynotes

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Keynotes

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Andy sql
Andy sql
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I agree that Jim Gray was a fascinating speaker, very enthusiastic, whilst being completely engrossed in technical thoughts and ideas. Unfortunately, I have to say "was a great speaker" as he went missing at sea early in 2007; definitely a sad day.
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

How about Tom Kyte - he's one of the best!
Samuel Clough
Samuel Clough
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

With Macworld starting on Monday, I'd have to say Steve Jobs is definitely one of the best keynote speakers there is, although I've never seen it in person.
Joe Pattison
Joe Pattison
Old Hand
Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)

Outside of the technical arena, Dr. Frederick Schroeder with San Diego State is my all time favorite; speaking on disability and blindness.
Sarah Dutkiewicz
Sarah Dutkiewicz
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)

The best keynote speaker I've heard was John "Maddog" Hall. For being a Linux guy, he actually is a fairly open-minded guy. Very well-versed in a variety of topics with a lot of experience under his belt, he also knows how to keep an audience engaged in his talks. I'd definitely see another keynote from him.
Cindy Williams-312338
Cindy Williams-312338
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Saw Dr. Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic wreckage) give a keynote at Networld+Interop a few years ago - talking about dealing with change in your career. He had great examples of when he got his PhD, scientists 'knew' so many things about the ocean floor (static, lifeless). Then as they were able to explore it further, they found geothermal vents and all the creatures that lived there. Basically contradicting a lot of what they were taught in grad school.
wodom
wodom
Old Hand
Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)Old Hand (314 reputation)

Hands down, the best, most fascinating and entertaining keynote speaker I ever heard was the late then-Capt. Grace Hopper of the US Navy. Talking about her involvement in the development of COBOL, the "first" computer bug, and her ubiquitous "nanosecond" prop (a 1-foot length of wire, the distance light travels in that time) had the audience howling for more. Especially when she described how, one time, she thought she'd try illustrating a microsecond also. All was fine until she got to airport security ........

Kbear
Kbear
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)

Frank Maguire - one of the founders of Fedex, also worked for KFC and has great stories about Col Sanders
Jamie Clark - speaks about several attempts to climb Mt. Everest and ties the successes and failures into planning and leadership
Terry Bradshaw - very entertaining; doesn't necessarily stay on point for leadership/teamwork issues but is hysterical.
Gethyn Ellis
Gethyn Ellis
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

me - i'm a pretty good key note speaker, been best man a few times given some awesome addresses, went down well, my mother told me, if you wantme to speak for you drop me a line. Smile

Gethyn Ellisgethynellis.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.