SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Find occurence of any value in database!

Find occurence of any value in database!

Author
Pat Reddy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Find occurence of any value in database!
Andrew McCrackin
Andrew McCrackin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

just some notes:

Occurrences might be misleading since it's a count of syscomments records associated with the object that contain the search string rather than a count of instances of that search string in those entries.

Also, you might want to add to the type list the following
WHEN SO.xtype = 'TF' THEN 'Table Function - early binding' -- table defined in header
WHEN SO.xtype = 'IF' THEN 'Table Function - late binding' -- table, undefined
WHEN SO.xtype = 'FN' THEN 'Scalar Function'
ELSE '*** ' + SO.xtype + ' ***'

Thanks
mgaert
mgaert
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

The script fails to post in my SQL 2005 studio with the follow errors (fyi CREATE is on the first line):

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure spUtil_Occur, Line 3
Incorrect syntax near ' '.
Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Procedure spUtil_Occur, Line 39
Must declare the scalar variable "@SearchString".

Looks OK to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the post!

mgaert
mgaert
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Oops, I meant fails to COMPILE.

Sherman Meeds
Sherman Meeds
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

When I attempted to insert my version of the stored procedure in Sql Server 2005, it came up with the same error messages detailed above. I retyped the third line (@SearchString SQL_VARIANT) with a tab as the first character and it complied properly. Evidently, there are embedded invisible characters in the text when copied directly from the article.
mgaert
mgaert
Grasshopper

Quite right! Thank you.

Angelindiego
Angelindiego
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)SSC Eights! (954 reputation)

I wanted to ask Pat a question and the email he provided in the article isn't valid anymore. Pat are you out there??? Please post a new email address.....

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

Pat Reddy
Pat Reddy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

I'm here! My address should be reddyss@charter.net
What's up?
gyessql
gyessql
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (155 reputation)

Does this stored proc really give the occurence of a value in the database or the occurence of a attribute/field name in the database ?

I have a value and I need to check all the tables in the database where this value is present. Is there a way to get all the tables and column names in which the value is present?
Pat Reddy
Pat Reddy
Grasshopper

Yes, it finds the value in the data by exact match or LIKE, depending on the parameter sent in. E-mail me directly at reddyss@charter.net for the code.

Pat
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.