SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

When You're Out of the Office

When You're Out of the Office

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item When You're Out of the Office

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
P Jones
P Jones
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Books - any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels - pure escapism.

Best Christmas buy ever though was when travelling to South Africa for christmas - a 24 hour plus trip. We bought the children three of the Harry Potter books, unabridged on cassette read by the inimitable Stephen Fry and armed with a Walkman each, they were so engrossed that we were halfway across the Karoo before the first "Are we nearly there yet"!
Jurriaan Themmen
Jurriaan Themmen
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)

Bit of dutch chauvinism here. There was a movie called "Zwartboek" this year which was a really good one for dutch measures. I know it's been released outside Holland as well and I think it's worth watching.

Best christmas gift I ever got was the news that my wife was pregnant from our first child.

Merry Christmas everybody !Cool
chris webster
chris webster
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)

One of my favourite movies this year: Stardust.

De Niro's performance alone is worth the entrance fee

Ian Brown-213389
Ian Brown-213389
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)

I'd add another recommendation for the Jack Reacher series.

Take a look a the work of Quintin Jardine as well. He does two series: Bob Skinner and Oz Blackstone.

Bob Skinner is the Deputy Chief Constable of a Scottish police force.
Oz Blackstone is a PI.

Both good series, both worth starting at the start rather than jumping in to the middle.

http://www.quintinjardine.com/quintinjardinehome.htm

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

It's brain candy, but tasty, John Birmingham's Final Impact. It's the third book in a trilogy (I truly hate that phrase, but they must be some kind of marketing thing, who knows) where in a heavy carrier battle group from 2021 who've been fighting a hard war against Islamic terrorism for twenty years accidently gets transported back in time. The first book lands them in the middle of the battle of Midway, accidently sinking the entire American fleet. History goes downhill from there. It's a little choppy and kind of goofy in a lot of ways, but Birmingham is a fun writer, so it's good escapist fantasy stuff. Brain candy.

For something a bit more serious, a new history of the French & Indian War by Walter Borneman is worth the read.

The book I hope I'm getting from Santa is a little older, but if you haven't heard of it, it might be good. It's called Caveman Chemistry by Kevin Dunn. 28 Projects formthe the Creation of Fire to the Production of Plastics... My kids are going to love me in equal amounts to how much my wife will hate me. I can't wait.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Anders Pedersen
Anders Pedersen
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

I've been (re) reading the Foundation series of books by Isaac Asimov. Good books, especially if you read the entire i Robot series first.

ONe of the best movies I saw this year was Grandma's Boy. Hillarious.
DonaldW
DonaldW
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

For a real rollercoaster adventure read The Judas Strain by James Rollins. He's always good for a thrill-a-minute. The basic premise will scare your pants off. (Read it with your significant other. BigGrin)

Matt Simmons
Matt Simmons
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)SSC-Addicted (482 reputation)

I've enjoyed all three of the Bourne movies and have Superbad, Transformers and Spiderman 3 set aside for the next week.

When time permits I try reading the Tom Clancy novels. I have the two newest but havent been able to get past chapter 2. Life is just plain insane when you've got two kids ages 4 and 3.

Have a happy holiday all and look forward to hearing/reading from all of you next year.

Peace...Out..
Matt

Regards,
Matt
Sarah Dutkiewicz
Sarah Dutkiewicz
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)

For me, I haven't been reading too many books. But I've listened to a lot of audio books since starting my job here. For those of you with young children, if you're going on a long car ride and want them to listen to something, I recommend The Cat in the Hat and other Dr. Seuss Favorites, as narrated by Kelsey Grammer (from Cheers, Frasier) and other famous actors and actresses. I've been a huge Dr. Seuss fan all of my life, and when I downloaded this audio book, it was a great walk down memory lane.

I'm currently listening to Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

Happy holidays (Christmas, Kwanzaa, Yule, Boxing Day, and any others I may have missed) BigGrin
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.