SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Login creation in SQL Server 2005 for SQL Server Authentication Mode

Login creation in SQL Server 2005 for SQL Server Authentication Mode

Author
Abdul Basit-361658
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Login creation in SQL Server 2005 for SQL Server Authentication Mode
eidermauricio
eidermauricio
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Good Article, you should go to the next one, I mean allowing windows users by accessing with autentication mode.
bye Wink
satish allamsetti
satish allamsetti
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

how to create the abstract views in the sql server 2005 or 2003
is it possible to the database queries
sunjiulu
sunjiulu
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)

I have a question about windows authentication.

when one domain user belong to multiple windows domain group, say grp1 and grp2, and both groups are granted access to database and given different permissions. when this user logon to sqlserver, which path he got? through grp1 or grp2? how does sqlserver decide on taking which SID to authenticate the user?

thanks,

jiulu

timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

The article was well done, but it could use some expansion. For instance, it might be worth discussing why you would want to allow SQL Server Authentication for one thing.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
VadimK
VadimK
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)

Is this article from "SQL for Dummies" book? If not, we should open a sub-forum for this kind stuff.

noeld
noeld
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

zloy (12/18/2007)
Is this article from "SQL for Dummies" book? If not, we should open a sub-forum for this kind stuff.
HeheHeheHeheHeheHeheHeheHehe

* Noel
Doug Krawec
Doug Krawec
Forum Newbie

I've noticed that when I Restore a database (in my case to a different machine) that the security settings that were in place on the original database are not replicated on the restored database. In particular, the SQL Server logins do not seem to work. Does anyone know what is happening here and if there is a work around to maintain the original security settings.
sunjiulu
sunjiulu
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (574 reputation)

Doug Krawec (12/18/2007)
I've noticed that when I Restore a database (in my case to a different machine) that the security settings that were in place on the original database are not replicated on the restored database. In particular, the SQL Server logins do not seem to work. Does anyone know what is happening here and if there is a work around to maintain the original security settings.

doug,

the sid in master..syslogin has to be re-created on your restored server if it's not there, the db.dbo.sysusers will have the sid because it's part of the backup.

if you are using sql authentication, then you may have to update dbname.dbo.sysusers sid to match master.dbo.syslogins, because sid will be different from one server to another, but using windows authentication sid will come from windows domain or group, it will not change, it's just a matter of creating the windows group or user on the restored users.

have a look on the result of

select * from master..syslogins
and
select * from yourdbname..sysusers

Doug Krawec
Doug Krawec
Forum Newbie

sunjiulu,

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, I am using SQL Server login rather than Windows Authentication. We have created a SQL Login of the form "ApplicationUser" with access to the single application database. The database I'm restoring is a copy of Production which is being used on a development box.

Is there a standard script that can be used to reset this SID on the restored database to match that of the instance of the SQL Server your are restoring to? I would assume you would need to check for the existence of "ApplicationUser".
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.