Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Get DATE part of the DATETIME

Get DATE part of the DATETIME

Author
Stefan Albl
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In SQL-Server 2008: usenew datatype date

DECLARE @DateOnly DATETIME
SET @DateOnly = CAST(CAST(GetDate() AS Date) AS DATETIME)
SELECT @dateonly
Mike.Flannery
Mike.Flannery
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

SELECT CAST(CAST(GETDATE() AS VARCHAR(11)) AS DATETIME) AS Today
brosspaxedi
brosspaxedi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

Slightly tangential, but I like to cast as SMALLDATETIME because I usually cut and paste my results into Excel; If I use a datetime, Excel shows 00:00 or somthing but if I use smalldatetime, it shows it as a date without my formatting it.

What I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity!
brosspaxedi
brosspaxedi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

Also, you can add or subtract days like so:

SET @DateOnly = CAST(FLOOR(CAST(GetDate() AS FLOAT)+1) AS smallDATETIME);
print @DateOnly

Prints just like the original did, but a day later. Subtract 2 and you get two days earlier.

Since DateAdd is apparently high overhead, it seems like a good alternative.

GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Any particular reason to resurrect a discussion that's 3 years old? Or just bored?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
brosspaxedi
brosspaxedi
SSC Journeyman

It was the "Featured Script" in today's newsletter.

GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Ah. That's what I get for not reading the newsletter till after work. :-)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Jonathan AC Roberts
Jonathan AC Roberts
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)SSC-Addicted (430 reputation)

I use these as I figure it's better to use SQL servers internal function than assume Datetime will always be a float:

SET @DateOnly = CAST(CONVERT(varchar,GetDate(),112) AS DATETIME)
SELECT @DateOnly
SET @DateOnly = CAST(CONVERT(varchar(10),GetDate(),121) AS DATETIME)
SELECT @DateOnly

brosspaxedi
brosspaxedi
SSC Journeyman

Adding an integer to your code works like DateAdd() as well.

GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion

I've done pretty heavy testing on this. The DateAdd-DateDiff method has been the fastest, and has the advantage of being both backwards and forwards compatible.

The Int conversion has rounding issues and simply shouldn't be used.

The float conversion has problems with the new data types in SQL 2008, and thus isn't forwards compatible with that.

The string conversion is a performance killer (takes an average of 4-10 times as long as native date functions).

Conversion to Date is the fastest and is forwards compatible, but isn't backwards compatible.

In situations where backwards compatibility isn't an issue, conversion to Date is best. Where backwards compatibility might matter, the nested date function method is best.

Property of The Thread

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.