Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Protocols

SQL Server Protocols

Author
Site Owners
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Protocols
MarkusB
MarkusB
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

I know that these four options are listed in Configuration manager under Protocols, but I wonder in how far "shared memory" can be described as a NETWORK protocol, since it can't be used to connect to a SQL Server instance running on the same computer.

Markus Bohse
Ramesh Saive
Ramesh Saive
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

This is an excerpt taken from BOL:

Shared memory is the simplest protocol to use and has no configurable settings. Because clients using the shared memory protocol can only connect to a SQL Server instance running on the same computer, it is not useful for most database activity. Use the shared memory protocol for troubleshooting when you suspect the other protocols are configured incorrectly.

Lets you connect to an instance of SQL Server that is running on the same computer. Cannot be used for access from other computers on the network.

--Ramesh

MarkusB
MarkusB
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Oops,
Ramesh my mistake I wanted to say exactly this, that shared memory can only be used to connect to a local instance. So it doesn't access the network. That's the point I tried to make.

Markus Bohse
EdVassie
EdVassie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

I would not call Shared Memory a network protocol. It is a protocol to access SQL Server locally, but not a protocol to access SQL Server over a network...
If it is a network protocol, what network infrastructure does it use?

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 1 Dec 2016: now over 39,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Quote: "When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist." - Archbishop Hélder Câmara
mallekar
mallekar
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

I agree with other posts that shared memory is not a protocol, nor is the named pipe, these are mechanisms used for inter process communication.
The question did not specifically ask about network protocols but some of the posts implid that.
Thinking of SQL server as a database server, it is reaonable to assume that the question expects network protocols.
However, if SQL server is viewed as an application server, then it might use any protocol that the clients need to understand. Even so, I doubt that share memory qualifies as a protocol in the sense used in the industry. However this is all Microsoft stuff and I guess we have to go by what their documentation claims.
MarkusB
MarkusB
SSCarpal Tunnel

mallekar (12/4/2007)
IThe question did not specifically ask about network protocols but some of the posts implid that.

Sorry, but this is the question:
How many network protocols are available on SQL Server 2005?
Seems rather specific to me.

Markus Bohse
noeld
noeld
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

I guess the Question poster just went strictly by what was "written" in BOL Wink

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/sqlexprbol/html/279fe698-5107-4891-b669-b04217ee421e.htm

But the description clearly says:

Shared Memory
Lets you connect to an instance of SQL Server that is running on the same computer. Cannot be used for access from other computers on the network

So the real answer is 3 BigGrin

Just my $0.02

* Noel
thecosmictrickster@gmail.com
thecosmictrickster@gmail.com
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

I've got 3 as well, for the reasons given above. Although I am not entirely convinced that named pipes is a protocol per se, but since it can be used to communicate with SQL Server over a network, I guess it comes down to the definition of network protocol (or just protocol for that matter).

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
--Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

tim_brimelow
tim_brimelow
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)

When I checked BOL for the answer (yes I know I should have the answer in my head) it describes five protocols and calls them Net-Library protocols. They are

Shared Memory
Named Pipes
TCP/IP
VIA
DAC

The last one almost made me click on 5 as the answer. But closer reading showed that DAC is for sysadmin role members only.

The question could have been better worded to say how many Net-Library protocols are available to use. The answer would then be five.

Tim Brimelow
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.