SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Reporting Services 3-Trick Pony

The Reporting Services 3-Trick Pony

Author
Ryan Austin
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm still getting the "Cannot create a connection to data source 'test' " error message even though I have changed the DataSet2 to be a Stored Proc.

I've only added one server to the table for simplicity and still nothing, do I need to pass a service account for credentials or something??
Rodney Landrum
Rodney Landrum
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)

Try downloading the latest RDLs. There was an issue.
Rodney
Ryan Austin
Ryan Austin
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)

I did try that and still getting the same problems. Crazy
Ramseier Andreas
Ramseier Andreas
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Hi

The new version works fine within Visual Studio. But if i deploy it to my local report server (Expresion Edition). I had first this error:

"The 'ServerName' parameter is missing a value "

-> so i changed the default Paramter for ServerName from default "NULL" to
="localhost"

But now i have to following error when running the report outside from VS:

"An error has occurred during report processing.
Cannot create a connection to data source 'test'.
The feature: "The edition of Reporting Services that you are using requires that you use local SQL Server relational databases for report data sources and the report server database." is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services."

-> Maybe this reports don't run with express edition?
Regards
Any
Ryan Austin
Ryan Austin
SSC-Enthusiastic

Well in my case, its not because its Express, it is the Standard install of SQL2005 with Reporting Services and the tests all work fine when previewing from Visual Studio, so I am a little stumped.
Rodney Landrum
Rodney Landrum
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)Right there with Babe (758 reputation)

It could be the local server connection in the DBA_Rep data source. You might need to change it to the server where the DBA_Rep database resides if it is not local to the SSRS server instance. Most likely it is working in design because that is where you have the DBA_Rep database.
Rodney
Ryan Austin
Ryan Austin
SSC-Enthusiastic

OK that does make sense because I have the DBA_Rep on another server altogether from the SSRS instance.
Ramseier Andreas
Ramseier Andreas
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Hi

Indeed Express Edition only supports local Datasource...
So this report doesn't run on Express Edition Report Service

Andy
Ramseier Andreas
Ramseier Andreas
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi

Thank's for the link. Yes, on this site it says under "unsupported features" that
"Remote data sources are not supported"
So only local data sources are supported and i cannot connect to other servers

Andy
chenthor
chenthor
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)

I have tried to get this report to work to no avail, either. I downloaded what I believe to be the latest code, I am using SSRS2005 from within VS2005. I have set up the serverlist to only point to a remote dev box that I use all the time, but is sql2k, not 2k5.

"Cannot create a connection to data source "test"
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to Sql Server 2005 (which I am not), this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings sql server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to sql server)"
My serverlist and the static data source are on this dev box,and when I hit the exclamation point in the data tab, it brings back a server list result set, so I know I can connect to it.

When I hard code the data connection string, it works fine. it just doesnt like the dynamic part.

Also, what is the @loginname param used for? where is it set?

Thanks!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.