SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Journey to Katmai

The Journey to Katmai

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/3044.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
michaela
michaela
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

I would like to install the 2k8 ctp on a vista machine; I have already a 2k5 developer (named) instance installed. I've read that the 2k8 ctp does not work yet with many instances; can I install it as a 2nd instance on this machine? I would not want to break the sql 2k5 installation. Thank you in advance.

Sugesh Kumar
Sugesh Kumar
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)

The following side-by-side conditions are not supported in this release:

• Side-by-side Tools - Presence of SQL Server 2005 Management Tools or BI Development Studio will block installation of SQL Server "Katmai" Management Tools and BI Development Studio.

• Side-by-side with SQL Server 2000 - An instance of SQL Server 2000, including MSDE, will block installation of this release of SQL Server "Katmai".

• Side-by-side with SQL Server "Katmai" CTP1 - An instance of SQL Server "Katmai" CTP1 will block installation of this release of SQL Server "Katmai".

• Side-by-side instances of SQL Server "Katmai" CTP3 - Multiple instances of this release of SQL Server "Katmai" are not supported on a single computer.

This is from BOL of SQL 2008.

Cheers,
Sugeshkumar Rajendran
SQL Server MVP
http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com
michaela
michaela
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thank you. It's great to know.

James T Bond
James T Bond
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

I'm actually pretty excited about the baked in spatial support in Katmai.

http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2477&trv=1
Regan Galbraith
Regan Galbraith
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Consider using virtual server's - install a virtual server, andd then on the cirtual server you *should* be able to install Katmai

anyone doing this yet? I'm waiting to get virtual server on a machine that can handle it...

WILLIAM MITCHELL
WILLIAM MITCHELL
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Here's a bit of trivia - Katmai was Intel's code name for the original Pentium III processor. You'd think that somebody at MS would have known that
mngong
mngong
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I have always wanted Microsoft to incorporate an ability to see who are the active users and the complete sql they are running as Oracle enterprise manager lets you do(more information than sp_who2 provides)

Mike

Regan Galbraith
Regan Galbraith
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

In SQL 2000, use the function ::fn_get_sql (X'sqh handle') where SQL_handle is the sql_handle column from sysprocesses.

In SQL 2005, have a look at sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle), getting sql_handle from sys.sysprocesses

HTH

Donald Desnoyer
Donald Desnoyer
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Intellisense would be nice, but only if they incorporate it into Visual Studio too. I have to believe the majority of SQL developers use VS and not EM/SSMS.

I also think Red-Gate has missed a golden opportunity by having SQL Prompt only hocked into SSMS. From what I've read, it was a challenge for them, since SSMS doesn't expose a plug-in architecture. VS already exposes this architecture, so you would think it would be fairly easy for them to adapt their existing SQL Prompt code over to VS.

I could be wrong and perhaps that's one of the reasons Red-Gate is publishing this software and I'm not.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Don
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.