SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Overview of SSIS

Overview of SSIS

Author
Amit Lohia
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/aLohia/2999.asp

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia
andycao
andycao
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)

Superb article. Many thanks.

Mohit Gupta
Mohit Gupta
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

Great article, very easy to follow.

Mike Bishop
Mike Bishop
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)SSC-Addicted (432 reputation)

Wonderful article. Lots of useful stuff that is all too often overlooked.
Andrew Markners
Andrew Markners
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Was expecting a section called "Creating a simple package"
Jwalant Soneji
Jwalant Soneji
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)SSC Veteran (209 reputation)

great article.

but the job scheduling is i guess very much different from what we have right now.

Amit Lohia
Amit Lohia
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Please posted your method of job scheduling. I may learn something new.

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)SSC Eights! (985 reputation)

I have to agree with Andrew. I saved this article for reading when I had time to learn something about SSIS. I currently know jack, and I still don't. Where is the "creating a simple package" part? Can anyone recommend an "SSIS for Dummies" type article out there with step by step instructions on creating an initial simple package? Thanks.
Lars Huttar
Lars Huttar
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

I agree with the preceding posters: it's a very helpful article. It helped me unlock parts of SSIS I had no idea were there.

However the article could be a lot easier to follow if some of the shorthand was expanded to include more context, so as to be understandable for those who are not familiar with SSIS and the SQLServer 2005 tools.

For example, under "Accessing SSIS via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)", it says "We can connect to SSIS Service for various reasons via SSMS. To connect to SSIS we have to mention the server name without the instance of SQL Server." But it doesn't say that you need to go to "Connect / Integration Services" in order to connect. That took me a while to figure out.

Another example is where it says "Let's add a new data source. Right Click Data Source -> New Data Source -> Complete the Wizard (Use SQL server Authentication)" I cannot find where to right-click. The section title talks about a command-prompt utility, but it doesn't sound like it has a GUI, so the right-click must not be referring to that. (If we were supposed to right-click there, I imagine the article would tell us how to launch dtexec.) I'm looking at the SSIS package name in SSMS under Integration services server / Stored Packages / MSDB, but there's no "Data Source" to right-click on.

Similarly, below where it says "SSIS -> Variables", I would love to know where to find this. But I can't figure it out.

Again, this article looks to have a great deal of useful introductory information about SSIS to help a new user get off the ground. If the above points could be clarified to provide more thorough context "for dummies", it would be a lot more useful to people like me.

Thanks,
Lars
Lars Huttar
Lars Huttar
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

P.S. I have now discovered, via other articles, that some of the things I was wondering about in the above post are found in Visual Studio (i.e. BIDS), after creating or opening an Integration Services project. It would be good to mention that in the article.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.