SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

CTE Performance

CTE Performance

Author
peterhe
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/phe/2926.asp

ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

the scripts are unavailable.

Nice article.

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
Charles Kincaid
Charles Kincaid
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

You said, "The plans do not give any clue to their performance difference." But there ARE indications. The thickness of the arrows are a real indicator. The thicker the arrow, the more rows in that part of the plan. I can see that there are thicker arrows with the CTE. More rows will, generally, take more time. Hover with the mouse over the arrows to see the number of rows.

ATBCharles Kincaid
Laxmi Narayan
Laxmi Narayan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)

Hey It was a nice article...
But it would have been more exciting if the scripts were available...

Anyway I would look forward to see the script as well to have a better understanding in it...

Thanks and Really gr8 effort to put such things on board.
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)

Wow, this is really disappointing. I hadn't yet tested much with CTE's on the performance, as the db I am working with now is relatively small, but I just kind of figured that since CTE's were working in a set-based fashion it would perform better than the looping. Hmmmm.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)

I'd sure like to see the queries before I can completely agree with the conclusions.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
peterhe
peterhe
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Thanks everyone.

The scripts were all submitted to SQLCentral.com with the article. I am not sure why the link was broken.

To Charles Kincaid:

What I meant in "The plans do not give any clue to their performance difference." is that the CTE execution plan doesn't give the details in the recursive execution. The row number (the thickness of the arrow) is actually the final output. SQL server generates only one execution plan for a CTE.

The execution plan of the loop method showed in the article is for the one execution of the looping statement. You know, SQL server generates one execution plan for every execution of the same statement in the loop. So the arrow (row number) is thinner in each plan.

noeld
noeld
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

I agree with Grant. I have to see the queries.

* Noel
peterhe
peterhe
Ten Centuries

I just sent an email to Steve about the broken of the link to the scripts.

If it's not possible to fix the link, I can send the scripts to your guys later.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.