SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DB Artisan

DB Artisan

Author
Christopher Robin
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

I got the information from my sales guy at Embarcadero after a quarterly meeting happened. If you look at DB Artisan you will notice that the different views in the application are actually web pages and it makes even more sense. The word from Embarcadero at the time was that was the direction the engineers wanted to move in so don't be surprised if you see Performance Center disappear sometime in the coming years.

I have SpotLight from Quest but I have found it to be less than what I need (really, none of those monitors does what I need) so I fell back on DB Artisan and multiple monitors on my desktop which gives me the best of both worlds. I am in the process of discontinuing my license(s) from Quest it works so well.

Vivien Xing
Vivien Xing
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I have used it for nearly 5 years (SQL server 6.5/7.0/2000/2005 and Sybase). Some features are pretty handy. But the history report part is not as good as they advertised.

SQL server 2005 has some build-in features/functions which are much better than 3rd party tools.

Cristian Amarie
Cristian Amarie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Christopher Robin (5/5/2007)
Performance Center was an option we looked at, however, I received information that Performance Center will most likely be wrapped up inside DB Artisan in the relatively near future so took a pass on that product.

I think your information may be either outdated, or a rumor.
Performance Center is still a product on its own (in fact the 2.0.3 release is pending - with support for DB2 v9 as the main adding) and I don't think it will be integrated inside DBArtisan in the next 24 months.

Cristian Amarie
Performance Center development team
Peter Hansen
Peter Hansen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

I have a real love/hate relationship with DBArtisan. On the one hand, there's nothing like it for useful features. On the other the bugs are embarassingly bad. I'm currently running 8.5.5 to which I upgraded because the earlier version would scramble source code in the editor, an utterly unforgivable bug. The new version is less buggy, but I really have to wonder what the Embarcadero developers are smoking because I'd be ashamed of being associated with it. In additions to bugs others have mentione, here are a couple of my "favorite" examples:

The editing keys (copy, insert, etc.) are inconsistent between windows. Need to copy some code out of a stored procedure window into an iSQL window? Ctrl-C doesn't work in the source code window. It does everywhere else. Moreover, this changed from the earlier version. Get this right and lock it down. Don't go all Microsoft by "improving" basic function from version to version.

Speaking of editing, if you want to copy some results out of an ad-hoc query so as to insert it into Excel, well, that's hit-or-miss. Sometimes you get the data in columns, sometimes you get it as concatenated strings. I could be doing something wrong but, somehow, I doubt it.

Don't try search and replace in a script extract window. That results in an endless loop behavior with shutdown the only option.

Would it be too much to ask to put a Copy selection on the right-click context menu? Jeez, everyone else does this why not DBArtisan?

Then there's the incredibly useful data unload and load feature. I'm not being sarcastic here, it's damned useful. But I've learned the hard way not to dump to comma-separated files, the load feature can't read them!

I live in a Sybase world and while I actually like Sybase (don't even ask me about the miserable Sybase GUI tool, it's even worse), I long for the stability of the new SQL Server Management Studio. Compared to DBArtisan, it's rock-solid.

These issues may seem small, but when the query you've been tweaking for the last hour is lost in some window that's now inaccessable because DBArtisan has lost it, one tends to become very upset very quickly.
Eric JOATMON
Eric JOATMON
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

I agree as far as the love/hate aspect. Every upgrade we do is to get a fix to a major bug in the current version. We are now upgrading to 8.6.1 because of bugs in 8.5.5 related to DB2. We use DBArtisan for Sybase, SQL Server, DB2, and Oracle.
rlondon
rlondon
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)

I have been using DBArtisan for many years. Currently I am using version 8.6.1 for Oracle and SQL Server. I find it more useful of the Oracle databases than for the SQL Server databases I manage. The feature I use most is the process monitor which I find has more useful information and has a clearer format than SSMS.
SimonLiew
SimonLiew
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Am using the latest Embarcadero DBArtisan 8.5.5 currently and have had this tool for couple of years. Works very well to manage our Sybase but i would stick to using SSMS to manage SQL Server. Prior to this current version, found out that certain objects were not displayed in DBArtisan due to the tool unable to recognise special characters but SSMS is displaying everything fine.

Reckons you should be a bit careful when drilling deep into SQL via DBArtisan. But so far, been happy with the tool (unless you're willing to manage a bunch of Sybase via isql Hehe )

Simon Liew
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
StripedCat
StripedCat
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)

I've been using DBArtisan for years; currently for SQL Server 2005 only. The main use is for generating scripts to be deployed at customers' sites, such as table change scripts, multiple stored procedure extracts, etc.

As some others have mentioned, I've found it to be great when it works, but also extremely buggy. I'm using an old version (8.1.4) because every new version I try is unusable due to critical bugs. I recently installed 8.7.0 and quickly logged six bugs. So I'm stuck using 8.1.4.

To me it seems like they do little to no QA on these products. That sounds harsh, but some of the bugs are unbelievably obvious and critical.

Question 1: Can any of you recommend an alternative product?

Question 2: Our developers use Embarcadero's RapidSQL, which also has its share of bugs. I'm thinking of phasing that out and instead just using SQL Server Management Studio. Does anyone have an opinion about that?
Eric JOATMON
Eric JOATMON
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

This is an old thread, but the comments still ring true. We use DBArtisan 8.6.1 because it was the least buggy version I came across. We use SQL Server Management Studio as well as Rapid SQL and TOAD. RDBMSs supported include Sybase, DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server.

We are trying to find an open source alternative to DBArtisan. Anyone know of such a product?
Christopher Robin
Christopher Robin
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Depends on the features you are needing but there are some open source solutions as well as some less expensive commercial solutions out there. It just depends on what areas you are looking at.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.