Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Mind Your Manners

Mind Your Manners

Author
sushila
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted here are about the content posted at temp

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
philcart
philcart
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

I recognise quite a few of those example posts you provided

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Nicole Bowman
Nicole Bowman
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

Wonderful! Manners just don't seem to be important to many people anymore. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks manners and kindness are important regardless of the communication medium. Thank you.

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

Absolutely outstanding article, Sushila... Your fine article should be the one that is required reading, not only for the "newbies", but for many of us old hacks as a reminder that we, too, were once newbies with seemingly stupid questions. You even touched on those with the "do my homework for me" syndrome. Well done, old friend.

You were particularly thoughtful in the "Mind your Ps and Qs" section. A simple "thank you" or other acknowledgment, be it from a poser or a peer, goes very far with all of the respondents. How often it seems that a poser forgets that we don't get paid or even recognized for this... that these forums are our counted cross-stitch and wood shop... it can be difficult but we somehow get enjoyment from it. So, thanks, Sushila... you're the best.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Paul Mu
Paul Mu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)SSC-Addicted (491 reputation)

I very much enjoyed reading this article - it flows well and the comments are very relevant to the community you are writing to.

I would just like to add one thing, for those who are new to SQL Server, when a poster asks for data and scripts, just be careful to send only samples or sufficiently edited originals to hide any sensitive information! Your employer would be very grateful that you had.

PSB1
PSB1
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (570 reputation)

I don't think I've ever actually had to post a question, but I've used the site and forums enough to get the answers I was looking for (usually at least a couple of times a month). So a big "Thank You" to all the people who have taken the time to answer questions that have helped an invisible minority/majority months and even years later after the original question was asked.

sushila
sushila
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Phill - I knew you'd recognize the comments if you actually had the time to stop by and read the article..- I did have a great time compiling the quotes for I had to reread a whole bunch of old posts for my "material" and the one that you recognized was easily one of the funniest!

Jeff - thank you for those kind words - I'm sure you recognize yourself in the member who goes to inordinate lengths to help out - so the ssc community owes YOU a big collective "thank you"!

Nicole, Paul - thank you for the +ve feedback!

allotc - Like you I too have seldom posted a question but have benefited hugely just from reading and learning from many of the responses and solutions...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Tim Cullen
Tim Cullen
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)

Thanks for the excellent article, Sushila. I've thought for some time that a kind reminder of manners was needed for the site, and you managed to hit points for both question posters and answerers. Thanks much!

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Same here. It made me relie so many memories. Thanx for the great article.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Let's try to fix the forum and repost my message :

Same here. It made me relie so many memories. Thanx for the great article.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.