SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Deploying Scripts To Multiple Instances

Deploying Scripts To Multiple Instances

Author
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello Joe and everyone else,

I would like to thanks you for the article. Read this when it first came out and have since modified it for my need. Here are the modifications I made.

- Create table with contains Servers Name, Type (Prod or Development), Version number (2000 /2005) and Owner of the system (Finance, account, etc). This will all me to specify which systems I want to do remote execution on. So if I only want to run code against the development SQL 2000 servers only I can. Also, as new server come to our network I would just add it's info into this table and it done.

- Enhanced the error handling for server(s) that already have a link connection

- Made my server trusted by all the other servers so that passwords and ids are not needed for connection. My main server is completely locked down on all levels, don't need someone to connect and then have full access to the other servers.

- Made a generic version of the code so that I execute anything I need on the remote server. This works for my SSRS report page. I use this code to produce several reports which include:
1) Job failures report on all servers, production only and / or development onhly
2) SQL Error log analysis report

I can send you my updated code if you like.

Thanks,

Rudy

dustin.jones
dustin.jones
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

this was a great starting point for me to create my solution. I used the script as a model and added some needed customizations.
jmisc
jmisc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Joe - Good basic script for dynamic Linked Servers...an auxilary post I have put up is remote RECONFIGURE capability as:

[linked-server].master.dbo.RECONFIGURE does not work.

Any ideas appreciated!

thnx Jay
Joe Yanul
Joe Yanul
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi. This is really a great post and is something I would like to implement.
Rudy, is thewre anyway you can send me your updated code that you mentioned..it sounds like enhancements I could use..thanks
Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Hello Joe,

Have a look at an article I created here called "Managing many SQL Servers?" and see if this works for you. Code is also provided.

Thanks,

Rudy

Joe Yanul
Joe Yanul
Forum Newbie

Hi again Rudy..I'am new on using this forum...is there an easy way to get to your article?....I've serached and cannot seem to locate it...thanks for your assistance!
Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries

Ok, just copy "Managing many SQL Servers?" (without the quotes) and paste it into the Search window (above and to the right) and clcik Go and then on the results screen click on articles.

Rudy

Joe Yanul
Joe Yanul
Forum Newbie

Boy that was a "Dah" on my part....somehow I did that the first time and it came up empty...obviously a "user error'!. I found it fine now..thanks alot for your assistance!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.