SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating a generic audit trigger with SQL 2005 CLR

Creating a generic audit trigger with SQL 2005 CLR

Author
David Ziffer
Old Hand
Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I never did follow up further on this. However the subject of comprehensive auditing is covered in another article series on this web site, entitled "writing nearly codeless apps", I believe.
David Ziffer
David Ziffer
Old Hand
Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)

Sorry if this is a multiple post, but I tried responding once and it didn't post. I never did follow up further on this single-audit-table approach to auditing, since it is of somewhat limited use (reconstructing data using this mechanism would be pretty complex). I did write another article series on this site, however, entitled "Writing Nearly Codeless Apps", which discusses a much more practical and comprehensive auditing mechnism that allows you to easily recall every row of every table of an application as of a given date.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

David Ziffer (10/21/2012)
Sorry if this is a multiple post, but I tried responding once and it didn't post. I never did follow up further on this single-audit-table approach to auditing, since it is of somewhat limited use (reconstructing data using this mechanism would be pretty complex). I did write another article series on this site, however, entitled "Writing Nearly Codeless Apps", which discusses a much more practical and comprehensive auditing mechnism that allows you to easily recall every row of every table of an application as of a given date.

Nice, short and sweet artcle. However, between the more than doubling the size of the database just for the inserts and saving a full row even if only one column got updated, I have to say that you must have a huge amount of disk space available. Backups and restores will suffer, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
David Ziffer
David Ziffer
Old Hand

Everything has its price. The flip side: I have never seen any other application(s) anywhere, other than ones written by me using this system, that are capable of returning you (via the app's ordinary user interface) to any desired moment in the past.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

David Ziffer (10/21/2012)
Everything has its price. The flip side: I have never seen any other application(s) anywhere, other than ones written by me using this system, that are capable of returning you (via the app's ordinary user interface) to any desired moment in the past.

Gosh... TYPE 2 SCDs are used for such a thing all the time. The only difference between what they do and what you're suggesting is that you store the whole rows in a separate table rather than in the original table. The EAV solution is also capable of doing such a thing albeit with a bit more effort.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.