Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Commas in mailto

Commas in mailto

Author
Ali-282628
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm trying to add a hyperlink to a textbox to e-mail addresses.

The following will work: (1)
mailto:aa@bb.com

However, if I want to send it to multiple recipients, and separate them with a comma: (2)
mailto:aa@bb.com,cc@dd.com

The hyperlink is no longer active on the textbox. I can add multiple people to the cc and bcc fields like this: (3)

mailto:xx@yy.com?cc=zz@aa.com, dd@ff.com

Is there any reason RS doesn't like the format in (2), and is there a way around it?
Gloriann
Gloriann
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

Have you tried using a semicolon instead? try mailto:aa@bb.com; cc@dd.com
Ali-282628
Ali-282628
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Yes I have, that doesn't work either.
Chandrasekhar-341193
Chandrasekhar-341193
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

If you find the solution to this, please share.
David A. Long
David A. Long
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)

Using syntax from, found by googling mailto:

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

MailTo with Multiple Recipients

<a href="mailto:astark1@unl.edu,ASTARK1@UNL.EDU">

Andy

Chandrasekhar-341193
Chandrasekhar-341193
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

Andy,

Before posting, please try it out on one of your reports and post. The syntax you mentioned doesn't work.

maddogs
maddogs
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)

Just saw this example as well, haven't tried it though so no guarantees:

<a href="mailto:someone@yoursite.com?cc=someoneelse@theirsite.com, another@thatsite.com, me@mysite.com">Email Us</a>

This example implies that there can only be one primary mailto recipient and the place to specify multiple additional recipients, separated by commas, is in the 'cc' area.

Good Luck

maddog
David A. Long
David A. Long
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)

Chandrasekhar,

I beg to differ, the trouble with mailto "features" is that they are dependant on the default email program you have defined on your workstation. I use Outlook 2003 and find that substituting the semi colon for the comma allows Alt-K to resolve this example, while Outlook Express automatically changes the comma to a semi colon after Alt-K.

The Example syntax is cited on the link I provided and found by googling.

Andy

Ali-282628
Ali-282628
SSC-Enthusiastic

It does work in HTML, but not in a report. Like I've said in my original post, it just removes the hyperlink alltogether when I have a , or ; after mailto: (except when doing CC).

If you have an .rdl that works with mailto:1@1.com,2@2.com etc please share.

PS: Yes I'm using Outlook 2003 as well if it matters. (It doesn't in my case, because the hyperlink is not even clickable, so it doesn't go to the e-mail client)

mkobilansky
mkobilansky
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Here is a answer:
http://www.networksteve.com/enterprise/topic.php/SSRS_2008_mailto:_multiple_recipient_Problem/?TopicId=50266&Posts=0
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.