SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Query Analyzer

Query Analyzer

Author
hiemmi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Does anyone know if Query Analyzer stores all the queries that are executed into a history file and if so how do i view the last executed query which i did not save it.

Thanks.

yellowleonard
yellowleonard
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

I might be jumping the gun a bit but I'm pretty sure that you're out of luck. However, if there is such a feature do let me know because I'm forever closing QA windows without saving them.

Good luck retrieving your query.

Gareth Hopkins
SmartData UK - software, web and database developers
David le Quesne
David le Quesne
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I think Toad for SQL Server (60 days freeware trial version from Quest software) includes this feature.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
mosaic-287947
mosaic-287947
Old Hand
Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)

[off-topic]

You can avoid losing unsaved queries by clearing the checkbox "Do not prompt for unsaved files on closure" in the QA options

yellowleonard
yellowleonard
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

Good old Microsoft. They always provide a tick box for any problems you're having. I'm still looking for the tick box in the .Net development environment that tells it to stop being so resource hungry.

Thanks.

Gareth Hopkins
SmartData UK - software, web and database developers
bledu
bledu
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

your best bet could be in the transaction log.
query analyser is not that forgiving

Everything you can imagine is real.

JeffB
JeffB
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)

The transaction log does not store a log of all queries. It stores the changes that are made to a database. It is also an unreadable entity.
Yorgs Neil
Yorgs Neil
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

FYI

A product called Aqua Data Studio stores out a history of queries.

It works with both Oracle and MS SQL .

I have been working with their demo a little bit ; price is reasonable

hiemmi
hiemmi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

FYI.

Instead of figuring out how to find the last unsaved executed query in SQL QA, I started using Teradata SQL Assistant tool which can be used against most of the databases and stores all the queries in a history file. The cool thing about this tool is that history file is displayed right in this analyzer in a tabular format and you can just select and also search on whatever previous queries you might have executed.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Arjun Sivadasan
Arjun Sivadasan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I was working on a remote machine and while I was away, the machine was restarted. Lost the scripts I had unsaved, or so I thought; and then I came up with this - was a life saver!

SELECT TOP 10
EST.text
FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats EQS
CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(eqs.handle) EST
WHERE EST.text LIKE '%text%'
ORDER BY last_execution_time DESC
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.