SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Attach MDF file with no LOG

Attach MDF file with no LOG

Author
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators

It's been quite while since I wrote this, but it may help:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/attachanddetachagain.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
buddy__a
buddy__a
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I don't think this procedure would have help in my situation. I had a database server crash (while doing backups) and the log was corrupted. Tried to do a detach and it detached but with an error so niether of the sp_attach_db procs would work. I would up setting the database to emergency mode and coying all the objects to a new database. However, all transactions for 10 hours before teh crash were gone. I would have expected all transactions to have been flushed to disk by then.

Rufat
Rufat
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

see here:

http://www.se-pro.com/faq/sql/faq1.html

Rufat
Rufat
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

If this post helped someone please post about it.

ryan mcalister
ryan mcalister
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

Make sure the .mdf files are not read only.
max.patel
max.patel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Balmukund Lakhani (3/31/2006)

There is no easy way of doing it.

I am sure that database was not cleanly shutdown so you won't be able to use only mdf file to recover the database (sp_attach_single_file_db)

Do below steps.

== I detached ran for pubs database files==

DBCC CHECKPRIMARYFILE('C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\pubs.mdf', 3) Since Log File will not be linked to the new MDF File you have to run DBCC REBUILD_LOG

dbcc rebuild_log('dbname','New Log File NAme')

THIS IS UNDOCUMENTED COMMAND.

database will come into Single User mode

Run dbcc checkdb and if there are problems then you need to restore from backup

HTH

max.patel
max.patel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

I am trying to mount a database (SQL Server 2005) from a set of data files (an mdf file, a number of ndf files and an ldf file) from the same database on another server.

I have tried using the attach utility from the SQL Server Management Studio, specifying the mdf file in the top pane which automatically lists the ndf and ldf files in the lower.

I keep getting an error 'Could not open new database 'continuum'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. The physical file name "h:\......\......continuum_log.ldf" may be incorrect. The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.'

Can someone please provide step/tips on where I am going wrong or how to create a new log.
zavhrye
zavhrye
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

An easier way would be using the Management studio and in the attach database window highlight the log file and then remove it. Press ok after the database is attached in new log file.
Paul Randal
Paul Randal
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

That only works if the database was cleanly shut down - i.e. the transaction log doesn't have any transactions that need to be rolled back. In this case the database was not cleanly shutdown so your advice won't work.

Thanks

Paul Randal
CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Elliswhite
Elliswhite
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)

Using SSMS is the simplest way to attach MDF file without LDF file. I mentioned some steps in which you can execute this task.

Firstly open the SSMS and then choose databases an object explorer item
Then right click on it and choose attach option
A window appears on the screen click on add then suddenly browse the MDF file
As on selecting MDF file a confirmation window opens confirm it. In this window the in downward side two files are list i.e. MDF and LDF file. Select the LDF file and remove it. Then click on OK
MDF file successfully attached you can verify in the databases list.

SSMS Expert
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.