SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Introduction to SQL Server 2005

Introduction to SQL Server 2005

Author
Francis-287537
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/fFinney/introductiontosqlserver2005.asp
sheepoo
sheepoo
Old Hand
Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)

Interesting article!
Is it fair to say that the new SQL keywords , like NTile, and RANK, are more geared towards statistical analysis of data, rather than just doing simple database operations(like updates, inserts, deletes)?
Alan Silverblatt
Alan Silverblatt
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)

The article is very poorly written, and apparently not even proofread.
Yelena Varshal
Yelena Varshal
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)

Excellent Article with a good overview of develoment features.

I somewhat aggree with Alan too: the examples have typos unless the author did modify his AdventureWorks database.

In the first example in 3.1.1

Select row_number() over (order by SalesOrderDate desc) as RowNum,OrderID, CustomerID, SalesOrderDateFrom Sales.OrderHeaderOrder by SalesOrderDate Desc

Should read:

Select row_number() over (order by OrderDate desc) as RowNum,

SalesOrderID, CustomerID, OrderDate

From Sales.SalesOrderHeader

Order by OrderDate Desc

In the second example in 3.1.2

State.StateProvinceID

should read

StateProv.StateProvinceID

Since I made a mistake myself trying to point to the mistakes in the second example I guess it is not the author's fault that the names are complex

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

sscbm21
sscbm21
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

Is the MERGE INTO .. there at all in the released version???

I searched the whole Books Online, it's nowhere to be found. Besides I tried executing the example given for this it fails.

bm21
Ian Yates
Ian Yates
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Thanks for the article.. I don't normally try out the code samples so for me the article was great Didn't know about merge into - will avoid a lot of the if exists(select * from ....) then update... else insert... code in my stored procs!

Bimal Fernando
Bimal Fernando
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)

Got very frustrated when the examples were not working. MERGE INTO is no longer supported by SQL 2005. Other than that not a bad article.

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)

Great article! And, I didn't like the Merge Into function anyway...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
rhunt
rhunt
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Just piping in on a something I just noticed in playing with INTERSECTand EXCEPT. I expected that they would act identicle to EXISTS and NOT EXISTS but they don't. They treat nulls differently.

Based on the author's example create a quick reference table.

SELECT TOP 1000 CustomerID, OrderDate, SalesPersonID

INTO Sales.SalesOrderHeaderIntersection

FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader

I expected the following two queries to return the same results.

SELECT CustomerID, OrderDate, SalesPersonID FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader INTERSECT

SELECT CustomerID, OrderDate, SalesPersonID FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeaderIntersection

SELECT CustomerID, OrderDate, SalesPersonID FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader t1

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT * FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeaderIntersection t2 WHERE t1.CustomerID=t2.CustomerID

AND t1.OrderDate=t2.OrderDate AND t1.SalesPersonID=t2.SalesPersonID)

They do not because [NOT] EXISTS ommitts the nulls as a non match while INTERSECT includes them

Raghu Pyapili
Raghu Pyapili
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Good Article,However would like to see more articles coming with focus on DBA aspects!

Cheers,

Raghu Pyapili

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.