SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI?

RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI?

Author
Jane Matheson-154829
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need to push the RSCLIENTPrint control to desktops where users do not have privilege to execute the cab file when RS tries to push. I found the RSClientPrint.cab file, but is there an MSI for this? My active directory manager would rather push an msi if one is available.
ken ngoy
ken ngoy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Hello everyone! I'm also having the same problem with this. Any scripts out there that will run this as a startup script?

Thanks.

jjerome00
jjerome00
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

We have come across this same issue - our users do not have administrator access and therefore cannot get the print client control installed. We are using RS 2005 with Service Pack 1.

We found a Knowledge Base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280579/en-us) that mentions creating an MSI to install the control, but I can't figure out how to get it working.

I was wondering if anyone found any resolution to this problem. I've also heard of people installing the cab files on the client machines, but there is no mention as to where instructions are for doing something like this.

I'm surprised I didn't find many more gripes about this when searching around. Anyway, it would be good to get all the solutions in one place if possible.

Thanks for your time!
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators

I'll try to take a look at this when I get a break in the schedule next week. If someone in your group has Installshield it's pretty easy to build the MSI, it will extract the CLSID and do the work for you (mostly!).

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Jane Matheson-154829
Jane Matheson-154829
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)SSChasing Mays (616 reputation)

We never did get the MSI built. What we did was change a security setting in AD that allowed non admins to install signed updates. This not only solved this problem, but a couple others that were going on. Since RS tries to install automatically when someone uses it, actually pushing it wasn't requried.
jjerome00
jjerome00
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

It's nice to see some solutions coming together. We're not going to make a decision on what to do until at least next week, but our IT Manager has been leaning towards the MSI solution. I have to admit I'm not too familiar with installer programs.

I also found this solution on Experts Exchange, it might prove helpful to others:
1. Find the RSClientPrint.cab file on Reporting Services server
2. Extract all files into a directory on workstation and run regsvr32 on RSClientPrint.dll at command prompt

The problem with this method is that those clients that use it will not be updated in future Service Packs.
Erik-496633
Erik-496633
Valued Member
Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)

After searching for an MSI installer for this without success I was able to build this one which worked for me to enable non-admin users in a managed environment to run the SQL Server Reporting Services RSClientPrint controls in the browser.

My environment is SQL Server 2005 SP2 with Reporting Services.

Attached is a zipped copy of the RSClientPrint.msi file. (RSClientPrint.zip)

Hope it helps someone else. Smile

-Erik

Let me know if it works for you, by replying here to this post.
Attachments
RSClientPrint.zip (1.6K views, 950.00 KB)
wdjona
wdjona
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Erik (11/21/2007)
After searching for an MSI installer for this without success I was able to build this one which worked for me to enable non-admin users in a managed environment to run the SQL Server Reporting Services RSClientPrint controls in the browser.

My environment is SQL Server 2005 SP2 with Reporting Services.

Attached is a zipped copy of the RSClientPrint.msi file. (RSClientPrint.zip)

Hope it helps someone else. Smile

-Erik

Let me know if it works for you, by replying here to this post.

Hi would this work in a SQL Server 2000 environment ie is Reporting Services independent of SQL version?

thanks in advance

-Andrew
mRainey
mRainey
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)

The RS 2005 client print control should work with RS 2000 reports as well. Here is a quick tutorial I found on how to create the .msi file:
http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/client-side-printing-silent-deployment-of-rsclientPrint.aspx

thanks!

Michael R.
Luke L
Luke L
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

I'd actually liek to mention another post That I've just used to create my own MSI for deployment to my organization.. It's a bit more fully fleshed out for those users who have access to Visual Studio and don't know how to create an MSI file...

http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/forums/ms-sqlserver/233916-rsclientprint-deployment-question.html

Once you create you file you can push it out via SMS or Group Policy or whatever.

One thing the above link doesn't remind you to do is in the the Project properties, make sure you set removePreviousVersions = True. That way whenever you update you package and deploy it you don't have to worry about older versions hanging about.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.