Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Executing SQL Server Jobs From An External Scheduler

Executing SQL Server Jobs From An External Scheduler

Author
Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sramakrishnan/executingsqlserverjobsfromanexternalscheduler.asp

Kindest Regards,

Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan

philcart
philcart
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Nice procedure. However, I'd use some sort of flagging instead of a GOTO loop. If you combine the SET assignment with a query, you can return the status with extra variables.

eg:
WHILE @myFlag = 0
BEGIN
-- check if job has completed
SET @jobresult= ISNULL(SELECT b.last_run_outcome
from msdb.dbo.sysjobservers b (nolock)
where b.job_id=@Jobid
and convert(varchar(12),last_run_date,121)>=@lastrundate
and last_run_time>=@lastruntime), -1)
IF @jobresult <> -1
SET @myFlag = 1

END

Also, under what security context does this procedure get called, and how does that affect running the jobs?

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
baudewijn.vermeire
baudewijn.vermeire
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

The dammed thing is that the great SQL Server scheduler is not available

in MSDE SQL 2005 (aka SQL Express).

regards

Baudewijn Vermeire

Don Shelman
Don Shelman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

What is Control-M? I apologize, I'm still supporting SQL7 and 2000, so please be kind.

Don
Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan
Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)

Control-M batch scheduler is a enterprise batch management solution that is used to run and mantain external jobs .

This is a product developed by BMC Software .

Kindest Regards,

Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan

Robert Davis
Robert Davis
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Windows built-in Task Scheduler works great for scheduling and running DTS packages via the DTSRun utility. It even allows you to specify the Windows account to run it under. This comes in especially handy because it allows me to use external executables without installing them on the SQL Server.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master, SQL Server MVP
Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management
Nali
Nali
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)SSC Journeyman (95 reputation)

Sureshkumar,

I'm curious why you did not include SQL's native Multi-Server administration system that allows you to schedule, monitor, and report on jobs from a centralized server (MSX the Master) of other SQL servers (TSX Targets).

Thanks...Nali

Sameer Kapur
Sameer Kapur
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Hi Suresh,

A nice procedure.

Can it handle the various steps present inside the job. What if we need to pass the return status of the various steps in a job to Control M. How I can get the return value of each step for a job?
Any ideas???

Kind Regards

Sameer
philcart
philcart
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Sameer

Are you running on SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?

Thinking some sort of query on the sysjobhistory table in the msdb database would be what you're after.

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
ebrahim.jacobs
ebrahim.jacobs
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Hi,

I'm a Control-M administrator & know very, very little SQL. How does one use this procedure in Control-M, we currently running a batch file, i.e.:-
"dtsrun /S omrsql064 /U xxx /P xxx /n CLASs_IMPORT Group Schemes Lead Data /e /w true"

Will apprecaite any assistance.

Regards,
w00t
Eb
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.