SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error 126 - Specified Driver could not be loaded due to system error

Error 126 - Specified Driver could not be loaded due to system error

Author
Kamesh-129171
Old Hand
Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

I'm unable to connect to any SQL Server using the client tools. I'm on Windows XP/SP1.

I have also uninstalled and reinstall SQL Enterprise 2000 edition but still have the same problem. Please advise.

jhklink
jhklink
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)

1) Make sure you can see your network (Ex. Ping a server)

2) Try to create an ODBC connection to a SQL Server on the network and test it.

3) Check the SQL Server Client Network Utility on your PC and make sure you have the proper protocols enabled (TCP/IP, Named Pipes, etc)

4) Make sure that you have the correct port number for your SQL Server you are connecting to..If not create an entry in the SQL Server Client Network Utility for the server and correct port number.

Hope this helps

Jim

sswords
sswords
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

Are you sure you're still on XP SP1? Even if you are, this article relates to SP 2, but you might be able to use the information to check your firewall and connection status:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/administration/2000/security/winxpsp2faq.asp

My hovercraft is full of eels.
Kamesh-129171
Kamesh-129171
Old Hand
Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)

When i try to make an ODBC connection using SQL Server, i get the following message.

" The setup routines for the SQL Server ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126". I'm on MDAC 2.7 and i dont see the version information on any of the drivers after i reinstalled mdac now.Everything is listed as "Not marked".

Pls help me resolve this issue.

sswords
sswords
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

Have you tried running Comchecker from Microsoft to verify that MDAC is really the issue?

If it's MDAC that's causing your problems, I feel your pain. Starting with Windows 2000, Microsoft now considers MDAC as operating system files. Therefore MDAC components are now covered by Windows File Protection in versions after 2K including XP . This means that if you try to upgrade or even re-install MDAC, the install will look like it completes successfully, but no files are actually updated. Or more properly, the original MDAC components are still there because WPF protects them from being overwritten by the install.

It can be completely maddening but there are a couple of workarounds that can work depending on your situation. First make sure you have a backup or image of your client. Then try this link that explains disabling WPF and clearing the dllcache for starters (all appropriate cautions apply):

http://arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/others/disable_sfp-1.html

If that doesn't work (and I have seen it fail) there is another way to force an update from a cmd file but our network guy that ran this for us is out of the office right now and I can't seem to find the original link. I'll keep looking as time permits and see if I can find it for you.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
Kamesh-129171
Kamesh-129171
Old Hand

Thankyou so much for the wealth of information provided. I appreciate that. I luckily found out that the ODBC file on my machine was tampered. I had it exported from a different machine and ran the file. Bingo, im now able to connect without problems.

Once again, thank you for your efforts involved.

sqlpro
sqlpro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

what ODBC file you copied Kamesh.

i now exactly have same issue .could you plz let me know how to fix that.

muniraj
muniraj
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

hi

Any body plz help me how to check and configure which port the Sql server is

using to communicate and to change the same also , is there any default

port it will take or admin suppose to assign any port ???

Regards

Muniraj

sqlpro
sqlpro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Hi Muniraj
see following article is any useful

sqlpro
sqlpro
SSCrazy

BTW the default port is 1433

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.