SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating Dot Net Stored Procedures in SQL Server 2005

Creating Dot Net Stored Procedures in SQL Server 2005

Author
Yelena Varshal
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/yvarshal/creatingdotnetstoredproceduresinsqlserver2005.asp

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

@set PATH=%FrameworkSDKDir%\bin;%FrameworkDir%\%FrameworkVersion%;%PATH%;

Shouldn't that read

@set PATH=%FrameworkDir%\bin;%FrameworkDir%\%FrameworkVersion%;%PATH%;

And in the source code where is the LogIt function defined?

Other than that it is nice to see a practical example of the CLR functionality.

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
bond007
bond007
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)SSC-Addicted (472 reputation)

The path works for me by the looks of it, i just installed the framework with the defaults. The logit function is in the code isn't it:

Public Shared Sub LogIt(ByVal logMessage As String, ByVal w As TextWriter)
w.Write(ControlChars.CrLf & "Log Entry : ")
w.WriteLine("{0} {1}", DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString(), DateTime.Now.ToLongDateString())
w.WriteLine(" :")
w.WriteLine(" :{0}", logMessage)
w.WriteLine("-------------------------------")
' Update the underlying file.
w.Flush()
End Sub

Excellent article, thanks, i found very usefull.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Michael Lysons
Michael Lysons
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Good stuff - I've been wondering how that was going to work.
Yelena Varshal
Yelena Varshal
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9K reputation)

David,

It was a good point about the Path. That is why I say in the article that one should verify path in his/her installation. You pointed at FrameworkSDKDir versus FrameworkDir. I remember installing SDK on one computer and not installing on another computer (at least, explicitly) . This path works for 2 workstations and one server. All 3 running a lot of software.I would suggest finding the directory with VBC (Visual Basic Compiler) and relevant dlls in the compiler line and modify path accordingly.

All,

Thanks for reading the article and for your feedback! I will log in again to see if you have more questions.

Yelena

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Francisco Lopez
Francisco Lopez
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)

Now, this is a good article and example of what can be done with the SQLCLR integration.

I can't help but think, it's gotta make DBAs very nervous from a security and stability perspective.

{Francisco}
Adam Machanic
Adam Machanic
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

I'm not certain that your stored procedure is thread safe. Remember, multiple processes may call this at the same time -- the file will be locked if someone else is writing to it, and you will throw an exception. Unfortunately, I'm not certain how to check first...

On that same note, you should probably use w.Dispose() instead of w.Close(), and wrap the whole thing in a try/finally block in case something bad happens (e.g. an exception). If you do hit an exception currently, the Close() will not get hit -- and the file will remain locked until the GC happens to come along and do its thing.

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
Yelena Varshal
Yelena Varshal
SSCrazy Eights

Adam and Francisco,

You are certainly right. When I write production code I always think of security, thread safety, stability, handling exceptions and disposing of the objects that are no more in use. I think I may post something on security later, I have some unusual examples.

This article is a "Proof-Of-Concept" that yes, we can write stored procedures in programming languages and yes, it is working. So I just used the most basic code.

In addition, I wanted to use VB code that is as simple as possible and easy to read for those DBAs who have sysadmin background without programming experience.

Yelena

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

David Lu
David Lu
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

Yelena:

It is a good article, simple and make sense. Like you wrote, some database guy might not be familiar with the .Net, like me.

So, simple example with good concept are good for me, thanks for the article. On the other hand, it looks like the quality of DB design today is less important as ever......

p.s. What will be your recommandation about .Net VB and .Net C# self learning books?

thanks

-D

bhupinderd
bhupinderd
Valued Member
Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)

thanks, this is a good example for those who have limited knowlege of .net.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.