SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Controlling Unusually Long Running Jobs

Controlling Unusually Long Running Jobs

Author
Leo Peysakhovich
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/lPeysakhovich/controllingunusuallylongrunningjobs.asp

SQLZ
SQLZ
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

Leo,

good article. However, there is an issue with your use of the sysjobhistory table. You mention, near the end of your article, that if we want to check on jobs that are still running we should change the line:

and soh.run_status = 1 -- successful jobs

with line

and ( soh.run_status = 1 or soh.run_status = 4 ) -- successful and in progress jobs

However, the sysjobhistory table does not get populated by history information until the job completes, which means you cannot check for jobs that are still in progress.

I would suggest using master..xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs instead, which will always give you a more up to date view of what is happening to your jobs.

Regards,

Karl
source control for SQL Server
James Beaty-208368
James Beaty-208368
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

I hope this is not too OT....

Is xp_sendmail still a preferred method of sending out messages from SQL Server? In some shops I have worked in xp_sendmail is not set up properly, Microsoft security prevents it from being sent (i.e. when you use the command it uses the pop-up confirmation screen), and/or the DBA manager does not want to use it due to a hacker or program gaining control of SQL Server and sending out mail.

Maybe someone could enlighten us on the use of xp_sendmail and how to set it up properly and securely?

I would love to use this script, but the use of xp_sendmail concerns me a bit and maybe someone can give us a few tips.

Leo Peysakhovich
Leo Peysakhovich
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

You can use any type of email. Check internet there are bunch of articles how to use CDO mail object. I just didn't focus on mail portion. Sorry.

Leo Peysakhovich
Leo Peysakhovich
UDP Broadcaster

I didn't check it. But I will. I was stating based on SQL Server Book on line.

run_statusintStatus of the job execution:

0 = Failed
1 = Succeeded
2 = Retry
3 = Canceled
4 = In progress

SQLZ
SQLZ
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is really. There is a run_status field in sysjobhistory but it doesn't get populated until the job finishes, which defeats the purpose of having that field (other than for failed or succeeded values).

Perhaps BOL is in error, which wouldn't be the first time.

Either way, let me know what you find when you check it.

Karl
source control for SQL Server
Leo Peysakhovich
Leo Peysakhovich
UDP Broadcaster

Will do it. It become interesting.

I am in class for 3 days. But then I will make some experiments and let you know. Thanks for the remark. Sorry for the error (if it is)

Rafael H
Rafael H
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (148 reputation)

I cannot understand the BOL either. they posted the statuses, but no rows are populated untill the end of the step.

Any news on this?

Kindest Regards,

R
Leo Peysakhovich
Leo Peysakhovich
UDP Broadcaster

Check my article http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/lPeysakhovich/howtofindthatjobisrunning.asp

It gives you some additions to the issue.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.