SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Design A Database Using an Entity-Relationship Diagram

Design A Database Using an Entity-Relationship Diagram

Author
Ramesh Gummadi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/rgummadi/designadatabaseusinganentityrelationshipdiagram.asp

Ramesh Gummadi
chunga_
chunga_
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Is there a decent (and inexpensive) ER tool that produces both the database and classes?

Ramesh Gummadi
Ramesh Gummadi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)

Sorry I do not know as of now. Will let u know if I come across anything. Rational Rose is a pretty good tools for design. I do not know how expensive it is.

Ramesh Gummadi

Ramesh Gummadi
Greg Charles
Greg Charles
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

Check Visible Analyst from Visible Systems.

http://www.visible.com/

Greg
BobAtDBS
BobAtDBS
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)

Nice Article. I give it 5 stars. It's obviously not "in-depth" - but not all articles need to be geared for experts. I like it because it's well written and easy to follow. I can refer my customers to this article and they will understand the basics of relational database design - many for the first time!

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither
Matt Gauch
Matt Gauch
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

One of the best tools out there, regardless of cost, is EasyCASE from Evergreen CASE Tools

Evergreen CASE Tools:
EasyCASE (shareware); EasyCASE plus (commercial)
  • 11025 164th Ave NE; Redmond WA 98052; 206-881-5149
  • I've used many different tools in the course of my 22 years in this industry, and EasyCASE is not only simple to use and extremely powerful, it is also remarkably inexpensive. IEW/ADW from Knowledgeware are great, too, but too pricey for the individual developer; and Texas Instruments' IEF is the pinnacle of whole-system development tools, but it is prohibitively expensive for all but the largest of corporate IT budgets.

Overall, EasyCASE is the hands-down winner in terms of price/performance when it comes to data-modeling tools.

Kindest Regards,

Matt Gauch
    Jon Beer
    Jon Beer
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

This article is excellent at describing the basics of ER modelling and it only takes 10 minutes to read!

I'm very happy to see it because it accurately represents my view of ER modelling. Recently I have witnessed what other developers have called ER diagrams but in my view are simply just table diagrams. Obviously this had led to much confusion and "heated" discussions!

True there are other methods of modelling data - but can they really be called an ER diagram? Shouldn't the term ER be specific to the diagram notation described in this article?

ommu_just4u
    ommu_just4u
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

CAN YOU WRITE SOME SQL QUIRIES FOR THE UNIVERSITY ER DIAGRAM
    cassandra.george16
    cassandra.george16
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Can you/ How do you design a database diagram in Visual Studio 2010?

Any help with this is appreciated.

THANKS
    cgSQL
    Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
    You can't post topic replies.
    You can't post new polls.
    You can't post replies to polls.
    You can't edit your own topics.
    You can't delete your own topics.
    You can't edit other topics.