SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sql Server2000 Service Packs

Sql Server2000 Service Packs

Author
dekesc
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I just installed SQL Server2000 Developer Edition ("Release A" on the CD). In the box is a CD for SP3a (do I need to do SP3 first?). How do I find out what SP's need to be installed?

ray_higdon
ray_higdon
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)

You can install SP3a by itself with no other sp's installed.

HTH

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

------------

dekesc
dekesc
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

I just found out that I have 8.00.194. The documentation says I am shy of SP1, SP2, SP3, SP3a. Should I do any of these?

Thanks for the help.

ray_higdon
ray_higdon
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)

All SQL Service packs, that I know of are cummulative. Instlling sp3a gives you all the fixes in all prior patches.

HTH

------------

AJ Ahrens
AJ Ahrens
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Dek,

Ray is correct. As far as I know the sp's are cumulative. You only need to install sp3a

AJ Ahrens
webmaster@kritter.net

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net
Mark Harr
Mark Harr
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Also, don't forget to get any other security and hotfixes after SP3a. Check at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp

Mark
dekesc
dekesc
Grasshopper

I installed SP3a, but notice on the MS site that SQL Server 2000 "should have SP's installed for Data Components and for Analysis Services." MY Developer Edition CD came only with the SP3a for "Desktop Engine."

1. do I need the other two SPs?
2. if so, do they need to be installed in any sequence (like, do I need to uninstall the Desktop Engine patch, before I install the three SPs?

Thanks.

joachim.verhagen
joachim.verhagen
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)SSC Eights! (812 reputation)

Data components is the normal service pack, Sql2ksp3.exe that you already installed.

Analysis Services is a special component of SQLServer, that you could have installed while installing SQLServer. If you do not know it, you probably won't need it.

It is has its own service pack, Sql2kasp3.exe and you can install it after the data components service pack. I am not sure if it is necessary, just never got the idea to do it first.

dekesc
dekesc
Grasshopper

quote:

Data components is the normal service pack, Sql2ksp3.exe that you already installed.

Analysis Services is a special component of SQLServer, that you could have installed while installing SQLServer. If you do not know it, you probably won't need it.

It is has its own service pack, Sql2kasp3.exe and you can install it after the data components service pack. I am not sure if it is necessary, just never got the idea to do it first.

Sorry that it seems I'm belaboring the point, but as I look at the MS technet site for downloads for SQL Server 2000 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp, and scroll down to about the middle of the page, it says :

"This service pack includes the following files:

Sql2ksp3.exe. Updates for database components.
Sql2kasp3.exe. Updates for Analysis Services components.
Sql2kdesksp3.exe. Updates for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000).
Note: The service pack files for SP3a have the same names as the files for SP3."

I installed the last one only as it was the only one on my Develop Edition CD.

Am I okay with that, or do I need to get the Sql2ksp3.exe installed also?

mfireman
mfireman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I was wondering if anyone knew if the S2K cumulative patch is the same as the latest S2K hotfix? And if there is any word on when S2K sp4 (assuming it will include sp3a and the cumulative patch) will be available?

Thanks!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.