SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQLSERVERAGENT - error 1068

SQLSERVERAGENT - error 1068

Author
vinitjain
Old Hand
Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

Hi,

I am trying to start the sql server aganet from services and its giving me an "1068 - the dependency service or group failed to start"

I have read numerous posts on this error and everyone suggests that chaing the logon to local system account will solve the purpose. I have tried that many times buts its working.

When i click the start button from sql server agant interface, it gives me an error "%1 is not a valid win32 application "

Any takers of this problem ??

One more thing .. when i run the mssqlserver service i get -error 193 -ocx1

Pls help

Thanks
Vinit

Site Owners
Site Owners
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)

Group: Administrators
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Jim P.
Jim P.
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

Is the MSSQLSERVER service running?

The SQLSERVERAGENT service will not start unless the MSSQLSERVER is running. When you fire SQLSERVERAGENT, by default, it tries to start MSSQLSERVER.

In this post 9/21/2004 10:00:44 AM Re: Error starting Windows service created in c# States:
Sorry no good news here, but we have seen similar issues with .Net
based services that are running under a non-priviledged account. Is the service running under a non-priv account, or as LocalSystem?
One thing to try would be to run sysinterals Filemon utility during start up and see if there are any file permissions problems detected (access denied, file not found, etc.).

You need to check the account on the MSSQLSERVER service as well as the SQLSERVERAGENT. And if using a domain account, just double check it to make sure it isn't locked out.

One I've done just for testing - try changing the services to your admin account and password and see what happens. Note that you want adminsitrator rights on the server. You wouldn't need them if you could do it from the front end. (I jsut hashed this out in this Test server thread.)

Let us know.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
vinitjain
vinitjain
Old Hand
Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)

Thanks everyone. i serahced for the cause of "error 193 " and i found the reason.

There was a unidentidied file named "program" on root of my sytem drive which created all the problem.

I renamed the file to "program.old" and everything started working fine

Thanks

dgcraig
dgcraig
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)

Thanks vinitjain!

I came accross the same problem. I had recently patched to SQL Server SP4. I had this new program file (no extension) located in the root of my D drive, which is where I have the SQL Server program files. The date on this file was 4/6/05, which corresponds to about the release date of SP4 (May 05), so I think that SP4 may be involved in the cause. I was able to move the problem file and start SQL Server.

Thanks again!

emmadiamond2k-875356
emmadiamond2k-875356
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

Hi,

This is a logon issue.

You have to start the MSSQLSERVER before you can run the SQLSERVER agent

Follow the steps below:
Click on start on the taskbar
click on run
type in: services. msc, then ok
On the servies pane look for MSSQLSERVER and double click on it.
Click on the log on tab
on the Log on as deselect This account and select Local System account option button
click on apply.
click on the general tab and click on start.
click on ok
that starts your MSSQLSERVER

Thereafter you can start your SQLSERVERAGENT.

I hope this sorts your problem
tosscrosby
  tosscrosby
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Ummmm - I believe a resolution was attained 4 months ago (and your suggestion was more or less proposed 6 months ago!).....but that's just me BigGrin

-- You can't be late until you show up.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.