Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Common Table Expressions in SQL Server 2005

Common Table Expressions in SQL Server 2005

Author
Srinivas Sampath
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sSampath/commontableexpressionsinsqlserver2005.asp

HTH,
Srinivas Sampath
Blog: http://blogs.sqlxml.org/srinivassampath
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)

Nice job and you got right to the point. Great comparison example against derived tables. My hat's off to you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
hodgy
hodgy
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

great article! CTEs were well explained and the examples demonstrated the application of CTEs effectively and succinctly. cheers.

Life: it twists and turns like a twisty turny thing

Parker Smith
Parker Smith
Valued Member
Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)

I wiould urge DBA's to be mindful of places where CTEs get used, but views would provide either better performance or a resource that could be used in several places.

Is there any information on the performance of a CTE vs. that of a view?

Eralper
Eralper
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)

Hi all,

CTE 's are really powerful with their recursive usages.

I have also written an article on http://www.kodyaz.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=18 about Common Table Expressions.

You may check it for the examples...

Thanks.

Eralper

http://www.kodyaz.com

Eralper
SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials and Articles
Microsoft Certification and Certification Exams
Eralper
Eralper
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)SSC Veteran (288 reputation)

Hi Parker,

As far as I experienced, CTEs are using same execution plans as a normal view query.

So as you wrote I believe it makes no sense to use CTEs instead of views.

But if you are working with hierarchical data then CTEs are the address to look for a reliable solution

Eralper

Eralper
Ram-200771
Ram-200771
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

good material. looking forward for more enhanced feature in sql 2005
Tatsu
Tatsu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)SSC-Addicted (484 reputation)

I would argue that CTEs are an excellent development tool at the very least. They might point out an area where a view might be put in place but why create a view until you need it. I would also consider using a CTE if there was only one query that needed it. If I needed it in another place I would create the view and refactor the original query to use the view instead since I would surely have used stored procedures.

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Eralper
Eralper
SSC Veteran

Hi Bryant,

I think that in sql statements where you can use CTEs as views, there exists ways of writing the CTE as an inner join or sub query.

Also, I tested with a few samples and saw that there is not a notiable increase in performance.

So I meant that the real reason or necessity for a CTE is not the usage of CTE instead of a view. You are right you should not need to create a view if it will be used once. But you can not also refer to a CTE for a second time. You can use it just after the definition of the CTE.

But even this usage is a plus and gives developers a flexiblity in their coding processes.

And I tried to mention that the real power of a CTE is visible when it is used as a recursive common table expression.

Eralper

Eralper
RTSQL
RTSQL
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

I can see the use of this CTE in many places. Since I don't have the sql 2005 installed, is it possible to use variables inside the CTEs? The below example is for illustration purpose only and of no practical use i think of:
declare @maxcount as int
set @maxcount=10
WITH TitleCount (authorID, titleCount) AS
(
SELECT au_id, COUNT(title_id)
FROM titleauthor
GROUP BY au_id having count(title_id) <= @maxcount
)
SELECT au_id, au_lname, au_fname, titleCount
FROM authors a
INNER JOIN TitleCount
ON TitleCount.authorID = a.au_id