SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to find the root cause of tempdb log file increasing

How to find the root cause of tempdb log file increasing

Author
Wison
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,
I found the tempdb log file size of one instance increased to 200 GB.
how can i get the root cause of the issue?

any answer is appreciated.

thanks.
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Wison (8/22/2014)
Hi all,

thanks.

Quick suggestion, look into sys.dm_tran_* dynamic management views. There are quite few good articles around such as this one Investigating Transactions Using Dynamic Management Objects
Cool
JasonClark
JasonClark
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Wison (8/22/2014)
Hi all,

thanks.

You can reduce the tempdb size by using T-SQL, DBCC shrinkDataBase and DBCC shrinkFile. For more information about these visit : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307487
Wison
Wison
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

jacksonandrew321 (8/23/2014)
Wison (8/22/2014)
Hi all,

thanks.

You can reduce the tempdb size by using T-SQL, DBCC shrinkDataBase and DBCC shrinkFile. For more information about these visit : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307487

actually now the status of tempdb vlf is 2. and i cannot shrink it until the oldest active transaction releases.
so, i only want to get some ideas about how to find the root cause of tempdb log file increased to so large.
er.mayankshukla
er.mayankshukla
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)

I would not suggest you to use DBCC ShrinkDatabase, but should see the query which is creating this.
In one of my projects I observed such a behaviour when I was using a bulk delete which caused log file to increase tremendously.

Try to use fn_dblog and try to find which transaction created maximum log
praveenkshanmugam
praveenkshanmugam
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

In your case, the reason mite be some long running queries still waiting to commit or mite be blocking. So, as u mentioned in the earlier post that still active transactions are present in ur VLF rite, try to check what operations the Open Transactions are firing. Hope this helps. if u still Unable to find the issue, i can give u more suggestions as i faced similar issues in the past.
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

er.mayankshukla (8/23/2014)
I would not suggest you to use DBCC ShrinkDatabase, but should see the query which is creating this.
In one of my projects I observed such a behaviour when I was using a bulk delete which caused log file to increase tremendously.

Try to use fn_dblog and try to find which transaction created maximum log

Quick question, have you looked into the sys.dm_tran* views to identify the transaction activities?
Cool
er.mayankshukla
er.mayankshukla
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)

Yes, but dmv's like dm_tran_active_transactions Or dm_tran_database_transactions
do not provided me the log length which I require to see which transaction is making my log size to increase.
Wison
Wison
SSC Rookie

er.mayankshukla (8/23/2014)
Yes, but dmv's like dm_tran_active_transactions Or dm_tran_database_transactions
do not provided me the log length which I require to see which transaction is making my log size to increase.

I have found some scripts from the internet, but need to combine them using some methods.
that is what i am trying to resolve.
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCoach

Here is a useful script from Paul S. Randal, lists open transactions with plans and text
Cool
SELECT
[s_tst].[session_id],
[s_es].[login_name] AS [Login Name],
DB_NAME (s_tdt.database_id) AS [Database],
[s_tdt].[database_transaction_begin_time] AS [Begin Time],
[s_tdt].[database_transaction_log_bytes_used] AS [Log Bytes],
[s_tdt].[database_transaction_log_bytes_reserved] AS [Log Rsvd],
[s_est].text AS [Last T-SQL Text],
[s_eqp].[query_plan] AS [Last Plan]
FROM
sys.dm_tran_database_transactions [s_tdt]