SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Titles Matter

Titles Matter

Author
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Titles Matter

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Working as a freelancer I thought titles would hardly matter but they still do. People like to think in generalised terms and when they glance at your CV/Resume, security badge, LDAP properties etc. they will make assumptions based on what they see. Often Job titles are the very first impressions even before you meet you.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Oh and Andy's career advice regarding learning missing skills associated to the common skill set for a job title you are aiming for is great advice. I have never thought of it in that way on a conscious level but I think I may have done so on some unconscious level.

Gaz

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

What does "Technical Lead" say about me, I wonder...

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach

GilaMonster (8/8/2014)
What does "Technical Lead" say about me, I wonder...

For me this says that you are a technology expert who can guide your peers and advise management. Anything beyond that is detail and would require closer inspection or interaction e.g. those of us who know you here have learnt more about you as will those who read further details in your CV/Resume (albeit from a different point of view).

Of course, to us your posts have said quite a lot Whistling

Gaz

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Technical Lead isn't a bad title, though I'd like it better if it were Database Technical Lead or SQL Technical Lead. Still, I think most reading the title will get/assume that you knew something!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion

I've only had one bad title - Delivery Lead. The client knew what it meant, I knew what the client wanted, but no one else on the team understood it. I had to keep explaining that "no, I don't do that" and answering "what is it you do again?". Fun questions for a consultant!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Andy Warren (8/8/2014)
I've only had one bad title - Delivery Lead. The client knew what it meant, I knew what the client wanted, but no one else on the team understood it. I had to keep explaining that "no, I don't do that" and answering "what is it you do again?". Fun questions for a consultant!

Let me guess- you were in charge of getting the donuts and pizza for the team?

Seriously though - bad titles really do tend to confuse a lot. We actually have functional titles (which might be the fancier/funkier/more local titles), and HR titles (the more standardized ones used to track down what to pay). Depending on how exotic my functional title has been (or whether it paints an inaccurate picture as to what I did) I will sometimes just revert back to the HR title on my resume.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach

Matt Miller (#4) (8/8/2014)
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)

Let me guess- you were in charge of getting the donuts and pizza for the team?

Most important job there is!!! Right? Well, except for buying the first round.

Gaz

jay-h
jay-h
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

One company that had a combustion engineering section had a 'Director of Combustion'.

Now that must be really cool on a resume.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.