SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is a foreign key constraint an index? If not, is an index automatically created in order to enforce...

Is a foreign key constraint an index? If not, is an index automatically created in order to enforce it?

Author
uravindarreddy
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
Yeah this is a very straightforward question but in the context of SQL Server. But will be bit confusing to those who work on other RDBMS products such as MySQL InnoDB. But, for those who work rigorously on MS SQL Server this is just a straightforward question worth of 1 point.
Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Carlo Romagnano (8/4/2014)
I read question and answers many times because of high score.
I was searching for the swindle!
But it's only a straightforward basic question.
:-D

+1

I thought I knew what the answer was as soon as I read the question, then I saw the points value and wondered what the catch was. After a load of research and reading round I found out I was right after all.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

I'm sorry if it got scored too high, but when I ask this as part of a technical interview, it seems to stump a very large proportion of the candidates. I suspect that it is one of those questions that are either blindingly obvious or impenetrably baffling. And, yes, it could be a trick question for anyone used to some of the other RDBMSs

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
twin.devil
twin.devil
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Phil Factor (8/4/2014)
I'm sorry if it got scored too high, but when I ask this as part of a technical interview, it seems to stump a very large proportion of the candidates. I suspect that it is one of those questions that are either blindingly obvious or impenetrably baffling. And, yes, it could be a trick question for anyone used to some of the other RDBMSs

+1000
Gazareth
Gazareth
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

I just thought the easy Q & high points was an attempt to improve everyone's Monday morning :-)
Can we do this every week?!
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Gazareth (8/4/2014)
I just thought the easy Q & high points was an attempt to improve everyone's Monday morning :-)
Can we do this every week?!

+ 1 :-)
Jamsheer
Jamsheer
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)

Got some energy for Monday :-)
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

Good way to start the week. I'm one of those who read the question and found it obvious, but had to re-read it because of the point value. I'm certainly not complaining. Thanks for the question, Phil.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

TomThomson (8/3/2014)
Just like the others who have commented so far I think this is a good fundamental question which has been assigned far too many points.

+1
Good one, thanks Phil

sqlnaive
sqlnaive
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Good question. :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.