SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Run same script for multiple clients

Run same script for multiple clients

Author
Christian.stringer3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi, kind of new to sql so help would be much appreciated. I have a script that needs to be run for 50 different @ClientID. I dont want to run this script individually for each clientid. Would 'SET @clientID in (111, 222, 333) work? I've been told that it wouldn't. Short version of the script is.....

DECLARE @ClientID varchar (MAX)
DECLARE @UserID varchar (MAX)

SET @ClientID = 111 -- Replace with Client ID
SET @UserID = 5656 -- Replace with your ID

--VIDEO(1)
INSERT INTO document (documentTitle,actualFileName,clientID,documentDescription,documentCategoryLV,updateKey,savedUserID,savedDateTime,contentType,url,effectiveBeginDate,effectiveEndDate,featureYN,language,imageID,sequence,effectiveShowAsNewDate,javascriptURL,homePageYN,enrollmentYN,bestFitVideoYN,benefitPlanTypeID,eeMarqueeUntilDate,imageName,thumbnailImageName,thumbnailImageID) VALUES ('Health informational video','',@ClientID,'Health Rovion Video',16,1,@UserID,GETDATE(),3,'<a href="#this" onclick="try{playThisVideoNow(''20110824181720e66FsHYTkWv'');}catch(e){}">View Video on Health</a>','1/1/1900','12/31/9999',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'<script type="text/javascript" src="https://engaged-by.rovion.com/play/20110824181720e66FsHYTkWv"></script>',NULL,NULL,NULL,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL)

Thanks!
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)

Trying to set like that will not work.

e.g. Set @ClientID in (...)

Where is the source of this data?

If it is coming from a database, you can use a select instead of the values method.

If this is coming from an app (via delimited fashion maybe), then a loop would work with the values method you have there.
It is also possible to dump the values for clientid into a temp table and then use the select statement for the insert instead.

Make sense?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Or, assuming you can get it in a delimited fashion, using Jeff's Tally Table methods to turn that into a derived table that you can then JOIN on.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

maybe something more along the lines of this?

With MyClients(ClientID,UserID)
AS
(
SELECT 111,5656 UNION ALL
SELECT 222,5656 UNION ALL
SELECT 333,5656
)
--INSERT INTO document (documentTitle,actualFileName,clientID,documentDescription,documentCategoryLV,updateKey,savedUserID,savedDateTime,contentType,url,effectiveBeginDate,effectiveEndDate,featureYN,language,imageID,sequence,effectiveShowAsNewDate,javascriptURL,homePageYN,enrollmentYN,bestFitVideoYN,benefitPlanTypeID,eeMarqueeUntilDate,imageName,thumbnailImageName,thumbnailImageID)
SELECT 'Health informational video','',ClientID,'Health Rovion Video',16,1,UserID,GETDATE(),3,'<a href="#this" onclick="try{playThisVideoNow(''20110824181720e66FsHYTkWv'');}catch(e){}">View Video on Health</a>','1/1/1900','12/31/9999',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'<script type="text/javascript" src="https://engaged-by.rovion.com/play/20110824181720e66FsHYTkWv"></script>',NULL,NULL,NULL,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL
FROM MyClients

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Christian.stringer3
Christian.stringer3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

SQLRUNNR its from a database, what do you mean by doing select, where would I do that?
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)

Christian.stringer3 (7/31/2014)
SQLRUNNR its from a database, what do you mean by doing select, where would I do that?

You used the INSERT ... VALUES method in your example.

If you look at the example pasted by Lowell, you will see that he showed an example using the INSERT ... Select method.

In fact, Lowell pretty much showed an example of what I was describing.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Christian.stringer3
Christian.stringer3
Forum Newbie

I tried his method and it didn't work, I realized I had the insert commented out, dumb mistake on my part. IT WORKS. Thanks to both of you.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated

You are welcome.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Christian.stringer3
Christian.stringer3
Forum Newbie

one last question, this didn't create a temp table did it?
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated

If you used the query provided by Lowell, it does not create a temp table. He used a cte.

But a temp table would be efficient in handling this type of thing too.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.